This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1231 / 51°7'23"N
Longitude: -2.4199 / 2°25'11"W
OS Eastings: 370707
OS Northings: 136062
OS Grid: ST707360
Mapcode National: GBR MZ.9DQQ
Mapcode Global: VH97Y.01JC
Entry Name: Colinshays House with Attached Wing Wall to North
Listing Date: 29 August 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1056459
English Heritage Legacy ID: 261474
Location: Brewham, South Somerset, Somerset, BA10
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Brewham
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST73NW BREWHAM CP
2/46 Colinshays House with attached
wing wall to North
House. c1815, with substantial later C19 addtions. Local stone cut and squared with Doulting stone dressings; earlier
portion has Welsh slates between coped gables, newer section has hipped roof with featured coped gables; stone chimney
stacks, the later arranged in diagonal groups. The 1815 portion to North West rustic in character, of 2 storeys with
attics, 4 bays. Small pane casements in plain openings with keystones at lower level; bays 1 and 4 coped gabled with
attic windows, battlemented parapet between then. On North side of this portion a gable with bell in bell shaped turret
over pointed arch doorway and pointed "Y"-traceried sash windows. Later block to South East trapezoid on plain, more
formal; 2 storeys, 2 bays. Plinth string and eaves cornices; timber mullioned and transomed windows with small panes
set into ashlar surrounds with labels, gables over first floor windows; between bays an ashlar porch in Gothic style
with corner buttresses, moulded 4-centre arch doorway, with pair 10-panel doors; plain square plaque over. This portion
apparently little altered internally. To North a rubble wing wall leading to tall archway with shield over set into
stepped gable leading into the farmyard, a group of unremarkable C19 buildings. House started by one John Dampier, also
owner of Brewham Manor about 1815. (Couzens, P, Bruton in Selwood, Abbey Press, Sherborne, 1972).
Listing NGR: ST7070736062
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings