This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9419 / 50°56'30"N
Longitude: -2.6346 / 2°38'4"W
OS Eastings: 355509
OS Northings: 116021
OS Grid: ST555160
Mapcode National: GBR MP.NSDP
Mapcode Global: FRA 56CM.9FK
Entry Name: United Reformed Church
Listing Date: 17 October 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1056477
English Heritage Legacy ID: 261418
Location: Yeovil, South Somerset, Somerset, BA20
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Yeovil
Built-Up Area: Yeovil
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST51NE YEOVIL CP PRINCES STREET (West side)
2/80 United Reformed Church
Church, built 1878; by T. Lewis Banks. Ham stone ashlar with some polychromy;
Welsh slate roof with ornamental clay ridge tiles between coped gables.
Notionally 2-storeys, in a Romanesque style. Street facade is actually an end
gable proud of two short side wings, giving effectively 3-bays: projecting
central doorway with semi-circular recessed arch of three orders, corbelled
gable; doorway flanked on each side by semi-circular headed window and buttress
to pilaster: above a 5-window arcade with semi-circular arches having pink
marble columns; gable corbelled and bearing 1878 datestone. The side wings
lower, with semi-circular headed doorways and long thin semi-circular headed
windows above. South return elevation in random local stone with ashlar
dressings, of 6-bays, with shouldered flat-arch windows to ground floor and
semi-circular arched windows above. The 1901 rooms and the asbestos cement
sheeting clad buildings to the rear not of interest. Interior: extended gallery
at 'West' end, below which are C20 meeting rooms, and a 3-bay double colonnade
with Byzantine caps (inserted 1923); fittings of 1878. Replaces earlier chapel
of 1792 (set back from road, between nos 11 and 15).
Listing NGR: ST5550916021
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings