History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Yeovil, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9404 / 50°56'25"N

Longitude: -2.6356 / 2°38'8"W

OS Eastings: 355440

OS Northings: 115853

OS Grid: ST554158

Mapcode National: GBR MP.P02J

Mapcode Global: FRA 56CM.925

Entry Name: Manor Hotel

Listing Date: 17 October 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1056497

English Heritage Legacy ID: 261366

Location: Yeovil, South Somerset, Somerset, BA20

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Yeovil

Built-Up Area: Yeovil

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Yeovil

Listing Text

ST5515NE YEOVIL CP HENDFORD (West side)

7/36 No 28
(Manor Hotel)

-

- II

Town House, now a hotel. 1776, built for John Daniell. Ham Stone ashlar, with
Welsh slated hipped roof behind parapets. 2-storey South East facade, set wall
back from the road, of 5 bays; with a central Ionic porch with complete
entablature and pediment, the attached columns merging into pilasters: three
steps up to pair of 3-fielded panel doors; windows at both levels of 12-pane
sashes in plain openings. The quoins are unmarked, but there is a plinth, first
floor band course and a dentilled cornice below a plain parapet. The return
elevations match: the South West side has 2-blind first floor windows; one
ground floor window converted to french windows and another blocked (A early C20
2-storey extension to the West corner of little interest). The North East side,
5-bays, has 2-blind first floor windows, and a doorway centrally to ground floor
with architrave and entablature terminating in a shallow flat hood - opening
partly blocked and a window fitted; the window in bay 5 has been narrowed. John
Daniel was a banker; the property originally known as Hendford House. Successor
owners include John Greenham, Portreeve and Town Commissioner, and his son
Frederick, Mayor of Yeovil 1856.


Listing NGR: ST5544015853

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.