History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor House Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Long Sutton, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0314 / 51°1'52"N

Longitude: -2.7593 / 2°45'33"W

OS Eastings: 346850

OS Northings: 126050

OS Grid: ST468260

Mapcode National: GBR MH.HBRQ

Mapcode Global: FRA 563D.8TJ

Entry Name: Manor House Farmhouse

Listing Date: 17 April 1959

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1056565

English Heritage Legacy ID: 263257

Location: Long Sutton, South Somerset, Somerset, TA10

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Long Sutton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Long Sutton

Listing Text

LONG SUTTON CP STEPHEN'S HILL (North side)
ST42NE
6/191 Manor House Farmhouse
17.4.59
GV II

Detached farmhouse. C16 origins, with C18 and C19 work. Local lias stone, rendered on front elevation, Ham stone
dressings; artificial stone slates between stepped coped gables; rendered chimney stacks. 'T'-plan; 2 storeys, 3 bays.
Rubble plinth, ashlar band course at cornice level, low plain parapet to south elevation; 16-pane sash windows in plain
ashlar surrounds with small keystones; to lower bay 2 a part-glazed door under diamond-glazed rectangular fanlight,
protected by open stone porch of non-classical detail; C20 flat roofed dormer windows behind parapet to outer bays;
from west gable a wing wall with sweep and segmental arched keystoned doorway; stone extension of C18 to rear with clay
tile roof. Interior not seen, but reported are remains of a former timber frame, and moulded ceiling beams in hall; in
west gable a large Ham-stone fireplace with mullioned window alongside; roof apparently raised in C19. Part of Sutton
Horsey Manor, it existed by 1695, and possibly by 1568; it may have been damaged by the Kings troops in 1685. (VCH, vol
III, 1974).


Listing NGR: ST4685026050

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.