This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0164 / 51°0'58"N
Longitude: -2.8167 / 2°49'0"W
OS Eastings: 342809
OS Northings: 124429
OS Grid: ST428244
Mapcode National: GBR MF.J86Y
Mapcode Global: FRA 46ZF.JGG
Entry Name: Court House
Listing Date: 17 April 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1056577
English Heritage Legacy ID: 263297
Location: Muchelney, South Somerset, Somerset, TA10
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Muchelney
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
MUCHELNEY CP SILVER STREET (North side)
8/231 Court House
House. Early C18, modified 1874 and 1918. Local lias stone cut and squared, Ham stone dressings; plain clay tiled roof
between coped gables; stone and yellow brick chimney stacks. Double roof plan, 2-storeys with attics, 3-bay west
elevation. Buttresses between bays with gabled tops and offsets, eaves course; hollow chamfer mullioned windows in wave
mould recesses, 4-light to outer lower bays, with separate labels, 3-light above without labels; pitched roof gabled
dormers with 3-light leaded casements to each bay; to lower bay 2 cambered arched doorway with slit window to left and
2-light window without label to right, with string course over spanning between buttresses; left of bay 1 a single
light window - this and all windows have rectangular leaded panes. South west gable has single and double-light, the
latter with C15 tracery - south east gable represents the 1874 addition, incorporating many features from Muchelney
Abbey (q.v), including panel and cambered arched doorway and further C15 windows, including 4-light mullioned window in
east return with quatrefoil panels under. Interior has some modified cambered arched doorways, a pointed Gothick
plaster vault in hall and good C19 fireplace in east room. North east section added by Ralph Fry, builder, in 1918.
House served as vicarage during C19. (VCH vol III, 1974).
Listing NGR: ST4280924429
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings