History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old School House

A Grade II Listed Building in Muchelney, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0163 / 51°0'58"N

Longitude: -2.8154 / 2°48'55"W

OS Eastings: 342896

OS Northings: 124419

OS Grid: ST428244

Mapcode National: GBR MF.J8JV

Mapcode Global: FRA 46ZF.JYV

Entry Name: The Old School House

Listing Date: 7 February 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1056578

English Heritage Legacy ID: 263298

Location: Muchelney, South Somerset, Somerset, TA10

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Muchelney

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Langport

Listing Text

MUCHELNEY CP SILVER STREET (North side)
ST42SW
LOWER MUCHELNEY
8/232 The Old School House
-
GV II

Former village school, now house. 1871-2, extended 1878 and 1883. Local lias stone cut and squared, Ham stone
dressings; plain clay tile roof between coped gables with finials, saw-tooth ridge tiles; stone chimney stacks. A
scholarly essay on the Priest's House (q.v). 'L'-plan, single-storey with attic, 4-bay east elevation. Bays 1 and 4
have 4-light C15 mullioned windows with square label; bay 2 has a 4-light mullioned and transomed traceried C15 'solar'
window with label; to bay 3 a moulded pointed arched doorway with label, boarded door. South gable has bell-turret to
south west corner, with a 4-light mullioned and transomed traceried window under square label and relieving arch.
westwards extension has catslide roof and later style detail. Interior not seen. Opened early 1872, and built by the
Lord of the Manor as the Parochial School, it was closed in l960, and subsequently converted (VCH vol III, l974),


Listing NGR: ST4289624419

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.