History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Court House

A Grade II Listed Building in Long Sutton, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0306 / 51°1'50"N

Longitude: -2.7617 / 2°45'42"W

OS Eastings: 346679

OS Northings: 125972

OS Grid: ST466259

Mapcode National: GBR MH.HB5B

Mapcode Global: FRA 563D.7X1

Entry Name: Court House

Listing Date: 17 April 1959

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1056597

English Heritage Legacy ID: 263243

Location: Long Sutton, South Somerset, Somerset, TA10

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Long Sutton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Long Sutton

Listing Text

LONG SUTTON CP LANGPORT ROAD (South side)
ST4625
12/177 Court House
17.4.59
GV II*

Detached house. C14 origins, C15 and C17 work, restored 1932. Local lias stone roughtly cut and squared, Ham stone
dressings; clay pantiled roof over stone slate base courses between coped gables, gabletted finials to north and west;
stone chimney stacks. 'T' plan with additions. south east elevation of 2 storeys, 5 bays, with single-storey projecting
porch to bay 3. Hollow chamfer mullioned windows with 4-centre arched light, some leaded, mostly with square labels;
bay 1 has 3-lights to both levels, bay 2 has 2-light windows; upper bay 3 is 3-light set higher; bay 4 has a 2-light
above, the window below now blocked; lower bay 5 has a 3-light small pane casement window of earlier C20: the porch,
probably C17, has a coped gable with gabletted finial, and an open semi-circular headed archway with moulded imposts,
keystone and semi-circular label, a C15 board and strip door being set inside in a cambered arched doorway. The north
west elevation has a projecting 2-storey porch in centre with angled corner buttresses, but the doorway is now blocked,
although a pointed relieving arch remains; above is a 2-light mullioned window; another mullioned window lower bay 1, a
projecting chimney breast with plain gable bay 2; other windows are C18 type leaded casements with iron opening lights.
The north east elevation has a 4-light mullioned window at first floor level, with squared label stepped over a small
plaque inscribed "Thomas Spigurnell, Gent, 1658", and a matching 2-light window above. The south east elevation has a
C20 French door and a casement with iron opening lights, under an old timber lintol/frame member, and right of these an
early casement of 7 lights, with square uprights close together, set diagonally; at first floor level a small stair
light and a blocked attic window in gable. Inside, the house of two distinct halves; the southern apparently always
2-storyed, the south east wall possibly timber framed; central cross passage, with timber doorway into north west
porch, south east doorway blocked by C17 staircase-probably Spigurnell in 1658: the northern half the Hall proper,
itself now with inserted floor; below a room with square-headed moulded fireplace in north west wall; in chamber above
an open smoke-blackened roof, part repaired; 3 main bays divided by arched-braced collar-bear trusses with raised
base-cruck principals, with intermediate braced crown-post trusses, curved windbraces; at southern end a plank and
muntin partition at high level screening remainder of roof, and in north west wall two cambered arched fireplaces and
alongside, into room over porch, a framed boarded door possibly C16; this room has curved collar truss roof of 2 bays,
internal iron bars to its 2-light window; in passage above through passage a moulded boarded partition with 9-panel
floor, probably C17. Representing the farm house of the Sutton St. Cleers Manor, there appears to be no direct evidence
for the name Court House; badly deteriorated, it was restored by the Clark family, the shoe-makers of Street, and
vested in a Quaker Trust in 1932 (VCH Vol III, 1974; VAG Report, SRO Unpublished, 1976).


Listing NGR: ST4667925972

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.