This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0375 / 51°2'15"N
Longitude: -2.8294 / 2°49'45"W
OS Eastings: 341942
OS Northings: 126789
OS Grid: ST419267
Mapcode National: GBR MD.GYVN
Mapcode Global: FRA 46YC.RJC
Entry Name: The Town Hall
Listing Date: 17 April 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1056610
English Heritage Legacy ID: 263167
Location: Langport, South Somerset, Somerset, TA10
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Langport
Built-Up Area: Langport
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
LANGPORT CP CHEAPSIDE (North side)
10/102 The Town Hall
(Club on O.S Map). Town and market hall, 1732/33. Red brick, Flemish bond, with Ham stone ashlar and dressings; hipped
pyramidal Welsh slate roof with timber bell turret. Two storeys, 3 bays. Open arcade to covered market below: all
ashlar, with semi-circular arches having plinth, square columns and end piers, moulded imposts, keystoned arch
architraves; across this a band course; then rusticated stone quoins to brickwork, with moulded stone eaves course;
12-pane sash windows in architraved surrounds with keystoned flat arches, and console bracketted cills; projecting
clock from eaves above centre window; lead stackhead on right C19; ironwork grilles and gates to arches; inside, the
undercroft has 2 central Doric stone columns, and the rear wall has corresponding arches with 2 pairs fielded panel
gates and overthrows. First floor not seen. Erected on a loan from the Portreeve 1732, dated 1733 on the weathervane, a
strong-room added and the kitchen improved 1836; after dissolution of the Corporation in 1886 the hall was used for
local functions, and is now maintained by the Langport Town Trust (Club refers to temporary usage by the Royal British
Legion, now located next door). (VCH, vol III, 1974).
Listing NGR: ST4194226789
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings