This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0371 / 51°2'13"N
Longitude: -2.8227 / 2°49'21"W
OS Eastings: 342409
OS Northings: 126734
OS Grid: ST424267
Mapcode National: GBR MF.GSTJ
Mapcode Global: FRA 46ZC.VG9
Entry Name: The Old School House, and the Beeches
Listing Date: 7 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1056635
English Heritage Legacy ID: 263131
Location: Huish Episcopi, South Somerset, Somerset, TA10
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Huish Episcopi
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
HUISH EPISCOPI CP THE HILL (North side)
11/70 The Old School House, and the
Former teachers' houses to National School. 1827. Local lias stone rubble, Ham stone dressings; plain clay tile roof
with bracketted eaves and highly ornamented bargeboards to gable overhangs; brick chimney stacks. Two storeys. East
elevation - Old School House - of 3 bays with single- storey extension to north; bay 2 projects and is gabled.
Chamfered mullioned 2-light windows with 4-centre arched lights, framing cast iron lattice casements under square
labels, the upper windows to outer bays have ornamental gablets over; pointed-arched single-light windows upper bay 2
over shaped door, part glazed, in moulded cambered arched doorway with square label. West elevation - The Beeches -
also 3 bays; bay 1 projects, with ornamental gable, 3-light mullioned window below and 2-light above: single light
upper bay 2, tucked under eaves, and below moulded cambered archway with pair part-glazed shaped doors under lean-to
porch hood of timber with Welsh slate. Two bay street elevation to catch, of which bay 2 projects. Interiors not seen.
Seemingly unspoilt examples of later cottage ornee style. The school was located nearby; it opened in 1827, closed
circa 1876 and was demolished by 1903. (VCH, Vol III, 1974).
Listing NGR: ST4240726732
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings