This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0535 / 51°3'12"N
Longitude: -2.7302 / 2°43'48"W
OS Eastings: 348918
OS Northings: 128496
OS Grid: ST489284
Mapcode National: GBR MK.FS4P
Mapcode Global: FRA 565B.G64
Entry Name: Somerton United Reform Church, Schoolrooms, and Front Boundary Railings
Listing Date: 30 September 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1056651
English Heritage Legacy ID: 263060
Location: Somerton, South Somerset, Somerset, TA11
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Somerton
Built-Up Area: Somerton
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST4828 SOMERTON CP
WEST STREET (South side)
8/252 Somerton United Reform Church,
Schoolrooms, and front boundary
United Reform Church and Schoolrooms. 1807, enlarged 3 times in C19. Local lias stone cut and squared, Ham stone dressings; Bridgwater patent clay tiles behind coped gables. Mostly 2-storey on road frontage, 5 bay facade. Bay 1 is a
flat roofed projection, bays 2 to 4 the gable end of the church, and bay 5 the gable end of the schoolroom. Bay 1 has plinth, cornice and shallow parapet; doubled trefoil arched windows both levels, with single matching windows on
return; bays 2 4 have plinth, string course between floor; ogee 2-light flat headed windows having square labels with headstops, bays 2 and 4, cusped lancets above; bay 3 has a C13 style doorway with dog tooth moulding under label, and
above a 3 light C14 style traceried window under pointed arched label; coping has flats and pinnacles to kneelers, and set into gable an oval plaque reading" 1807 CongregationalUTapG: bay 5 has a triple plain lancet over an 1875
foundation stone, with pointed relieving arch and a small rectangular gable vent above; to right a doorway under stone panel proclaiming "Lecture Hall'. Interior not seen. Attached to bay 1, 2 metres from rest of front elevation, cast
iron boundary railings about 1.3 metres high on low stone wall, with cast spear points, and two sets of gates to match.
Listing NGR: ST4891828496
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings