History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary Magdalene

A Grade II Listed Building in Keinton Mandeville, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0681 / 51°4'4"N

Longitude: -2.647 / 2°38'49"W

OS Eastings: 354760

OS Northings: 130056

OS Grid: ST547300

Mapcode National: GBR MN.DWR6

Mapcode Global: FRA 56B9.BLJ

Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalene

Listing Date: 17 April 1959

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1056702

English Heritage Legacy ID: 262896

Location: Keinton Mandeville, South Somerset, Somerset, TA11

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Keinton Mandeville

Built-Up Area: Keinton Mandeville

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Babcary

Listing Text

ST53SW KEINTON MANDEVILLE CP CHURCH STREET (off South side)

2/91 Church of St. Mary Magdalene

17/4/59

GV II


Parish Church. C13 chancel, remainder C19. Local lias stone cut and squared, with Doulting stone dressings; stone
slates to chancel and south porch, Welsh slates elsewhere, with coped gables. 2-cell plan with chancel of 2 bays and
nave also 2 bays, with west tower and south porch. Chancel simple, with single plain lancet in east wall and two in
north wall; in south wall 2 cusped lancets, probably C19, flanking a simple pointed arched doorway. Nave rebuilt 1800,
and extended northwards possibly c1840; slight plinth, later buttress to south east corner, and angled corner and bay
buttresses on north side: north wall has 2 'Y'-traceried 2-light windows, with a lean-to against east wall and blank
west; on south side a 3-light late C19 traceried window and simple south poch, with obelisk finial to stepped coping,
and plain segmental arched doorways, the inner being an apparently older door. Tower so simple it could be early C20; 3
stages marked only by slight chamfered offsets, with plain semi-circular arched doorway on south side and semi-circular
arched west window; slit windows to all but east face stage 2; and in stage 3 plain 2-opening windows with simple
mullions and flat heads on all faces; battlemented parapet, with north east stair turret, square on plan with chamfer
to north west corner, to full tower height, also with slit windows. Chancel arch may be C13, as may be the trefoil
rere-archs to the lancet windows; simple 'A'-frame roof; C19 fittings. Nave has boarded near-flat ceiling with tie
rods; stripped plaster on west wall suggests later northwards extension and also former west window. Font may be C13.
In north east corner of chancel a slab monument under simple pediment to Dauney family, 1766 et seq, and hatchment
board on nave west wall of 1749.


Listing NGR: ST5476030056

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.