History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, and Boundary Wall and Railings 4 Metres East

A Grade II Listed Building in Keinton Mandeville, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0747 / 51°4'28"N

Longitude: -2.6453 / 2°38'42"W

OS Eastings: 354889

OS Northings: 130793

OS Grid: ST548307

Mapcode National: GBR MN.DPMR

Mapcode Global: FRA 56B8.Z48

Entry Name: Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, and Boundary Wall and Railings 4 Metres East

Listing Date: 17 April 1959

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1056711

English Heritage Legacy ID: 262906

Location: Keinton Mandeville, South Somerset, Somerset, TA11

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Keinton Mandeville

Built-Up Area: Keinton Mandeville

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
West Lydford

Listing Text

ST53SW KEINTON MANDEVILLE CP QUEEN STREET (West side)

2/101 Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, and
boundary wall and railings 4
metres east

17/4/59

GV II


Methodist Chapel. Dated 1843. Local stone cut and squared; Welsh slate roof half hipped at west end, with marked
overhang to east gable; central metal ventilator on ridge. 2 storey, part being undercroft; 3 bays. Front elevation has
plain gable with pointed archway containing double doors, and above a stone plaque is incised "Wesleyan Chapel 1843" :
above this a small trefoil vent. The south elevation has 12-pane sash windows, with door at east end, set into plinth;
above are three pointed arched windows with timber Y-traceried frames, leaded; C20 extension up to plinth level on west
end. The front boundary mostly of squared local stone with shaped coping, with small stone piers having pyramidal caps,
but in centre are wrought iron railings with thick square bars, collared with twist-tongue tops, with urn finials to
braced standards; central double gates to match, with simple overthrow over to carry lamp; also matching gate in south
east corner. Interior of chapel not seen, but gallery evident at east end over entrance.


Listing NGR: ST5488930793

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.