This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0534 / 51°3'12"N
Longitude: -2.6749 / 2°40'29"W
OS Eastings: 352790
OS Northings: 128444
OS Grid: ST527284
Mapcode National: GBR MM.FVH1
Mapcode Global: FRA 568B.KPK
Entry Name: The Court
Listing Date: 17 April 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1056732
English Heritage Legacy ID: 262853
Location: Charlton Mackrell, South Somerset, Somerset, TA11
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: The Charltons
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST52NW CHARLTON MACKRELL CP WEST CHARLTON (North side)
5/48 The Court
Detached house. 1792. Built for Richard Ford, rector. Local lias stone rubble; Welsh slate roof between coped gables;
stone chimney stacks. In a Georgian Gothic style. South front 3 storeys, 5 bays. battlemented parapet, from which a
centre gable was removed in C19; 16-pane sash windows with Y traceried work at heads, taken down to floor level at
ground floor, normal first floor; matching 8-pane sash windows second floor, all set in plain openings with voussoired
slightly segmental arched openings; dog guards in iron to lower windows; centre-bay has projecting 2-bay Ham stone
porch with pointed arches, battlemented parapet and corner pinnacles with shield of arms in centre: plates for tie bars
between all bays. On east elevation a single-light C16 window, also a single-storey C19 angled-bay with battlemented
pediment and larger-pane sash windows traceried to match. north elevation random fenestration, cut into hillside and
not generally seen, includes larger pointed arched window to staircase. Interior a mixture of Gothic and Regency detail
suggesting that internal works were finished over long period; 2 rooms deep; rooms have Regency architraves; some doors
replaced with C20 doors; ornamental coved ceilings; through hall has Gothic style cross-screen, and at rear good
cantilevered stone stair with Gothic style wrot iron balustrade. Kitchen wing demolished in 1950's and replaced by
small extension on west Gable. A rectory, first mentioned 1524, by late C18 decribed as 'very ruinous', and 'repaired'
by Richard Ford in 1792, in fact almost totally rebuilt: sold on the merger of the living in 1922. (Victoria County
History, Volume III, 1974; Nares G. Country Life: Vol CV11, January 20th 1950).
Listing NGR: ST5278828443
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings