This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0522 / 51°3'7"N
Longitude: -2.6788 / 2°40'43"W
OS Eastings: 352519
OS Northings: 128309
OS Grid: ST525283
Mapcode National: GBR MM.G14D
Mapcode Global: FRA 568B.Q6R
Entry Name: The Old Cottage
Listing Date: 17 April 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1056733
English Heritage Legacy ID: 262857
Location: Charlton Mackrell, South Somerset, Somerset, TA11
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Charlton Mackrell
Civil Parish/community: The Charltons
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST52NW CHARLTON MACKRELL CP WEST CHARLTON (south side)
5/52 The Old Cottage
Pair of cottages. C16 and later. Local lias stone cut and squared, with Ham stone dressings; clay pantiles to north,
plain clay tiles over stone slate base courses to south, between coped gables; brick and stone chimney stacks. 2
storeys, 4 bays. north elevation has to lower bays 1 and 2 hollow chamfer mullioned windows of 4 and 2 four centre
arched-lights with incised spandrels, set in recesses; in upper-bay 2 a wave-mould mullioned window adapted to take C19
wood casements to match remainder of elevation. On south elevation further 3-light mullioned window-bay 4, and to-bay 3
projecting stairwell, otherwise C19 and C20 casement windows, and doors under open tiled porches. Interiors contain
much of interest: the east cottage has deep moulded ceiling beams forming 3 bays x 3 bays, with some moulded boarded
partitions and early doors; timber cambered-arched beam to fireplace in east wall flanked by unusual C16-panelling with
poppyhead finials to door jambs; cambered arched doorway to circular elm staircase; in attic above more C16/C17 boarded
partitions and doors. west cottge has circular stone staircase in south east corner, adjoining a low cambered-arched
timber beam fireplace; chamfered crossbeams and traces of a jointed cruck truss carried to ground. Believed to be the
Chantry House mentioned in 1588, and dating from earlier that century in part; the Chantry itself was disolved in 1548.
(Victoria County History, Volume III, 1974; Hamilton and Long, Some Account of the Parishes of Charlton Adam and
Charlton Mackrell, 1961).
Listing NGR: ST5251928309
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings