History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cary Fitzpaine

A Grade II Listed Building in Charlton Mackrell, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0416 / 51°2'29"N

Longitude: -2.6453 / 2°38'43"W

OS Eastings: 354851

OS Northings: 127110

OS Grid: ST548271

Mapcode National: GBR MN.GPM4

Mapcode Global: FRA 56BC.K6X

Entry Name: Cary Fitzpaine

Listing Date: 17 April 1959

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1056761

English Heritage Legacy ID: 262826

Location: Charlton Mackrell, South Somerset, Somerset, BA22

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Charlton Mackrell

Civil Parish/community: The Charltons

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Babcary

Listing Text

ST52NW CHARLTON MACKRELL CP
CARY FITZPAINE

5/21 Cary Fitzpaine

17.4.59

GV II


Farmhouse. Rebuilt c1830, but with C17 fragments. Local lias stone cut and squared; hipped Welsh slate roof; ashlar
stone chimney stacks. Villa style. 2 storeys, 3 bays x 3 bays, with extensions westwards. east elevation has 16-pane
sash windows to upper outer bays, with semi-circular arched widows between; below French doors to outer bays, with
central 6 flush panel door in heavy frame; stone lintols with false keystone to all openings, with curved dressing and
true keystone to upper centre window; across whole of lower elevation hipped glass roofed verandah carried on cast iron
openwork columns of a Regency pattern. south side has 6-pane sash windows, and north side has two upper horizontal
sliding sashes. Interior has simple Regency style staircase, door etc, little altered: extension to rear. The westwards
extension has detail similar to the 1789 barns (qv), but at west end are two hollow chamfered mullioned windows,
possibly C17. Cary Fitzpaine was an ancient manor of some consequence with its own chapel: it was probably rebuilt by
the Revd. Henry Shute, who owned it from 1824 to 1841. (Victoria County History, Volume III, 1974).


Listing NGR: ST5485127110

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.