History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saint Bartholomew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Yeovilton, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0047 / 51°0'16"N

Longitude: -2.6473 / 2°38'50"W

OS Eastings: 354680

OS Northings: 123013

OS Grid: ST546230

Mapcode National: GBR MN.JWNM

Mapcode Global: FRA 56BG.BH2

Entry Name: Church of Saint Bartholomew

Listing Date: 19 April 1961

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1056787

English Heritage Legacy ID: 262788

Location: Yeovilton, South Somerset, Somerset, BA22

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Yeovilton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Ilchester

Listing Text

ST52SW YEOVILTON CP PYLE LANE (South side)

3/172 Church of Saint Bartholomew

19.4.61

GV II*

Church. Circa 1300, severly restored in 1872. Local lias stone cut
squared and coursed, with Ham stone dressings; plain clay tiles with
bands of fish scale tiles between coped gables. 2-cell church, with
2-bay chancel and 3-bay nave with added South-chapel, North porch and
West tower. Chancel has 3-cusped light East window with C14 tracery,
with 2-light ogee-head traceried windows to sides; angled corner
buttresses with offsets, bay buttresses to full height; narrow door
between windows on South side, now blockedi remains of small figure in
trefoiled niche over East window. Nave has 2-light pointed arch
Perpendicular windows, much restored on South side. South chapel seems
mostly of C19 although remains of a Norman doorway arch used as a band
course under South window. South porch may be mostly C14 work, with
small 2-light opening with trefoil rere-arch in East wall, and sexfoil
window on West side, plain doorway arches. Tower rather heavy, in 3
stages of plain detail and square proportions. West door in moulded
almost semi-circular headed arch in a flat headed recess, the spandrils
foliated, door possibly C16, with sanctuary handle; Above a 3-light
window, evidently C19 restoration; on North side a statue recess
possibly of late C15, much eroded; very small rectangular windows in
North and South walls, stage 2, then almost triangular headed 2-light
C15 traceried windows to each face of stage 3. Plinth, string courses
each stage, and low slightly crenellated parapet, centre gargoyles and
corner pinnacles. Octagonal stair turret in South-west corner. Interior
locked and not accessible - said to contain a C14 piscina in the chancel
with an ogee arch, resting on a bust corbel; double-chamfered chancel
and tower arches dying into imposts, a nave wagon-roof with bosses;
statue bracket on South wall of the nave, and rere-arches to windows of
nave and chancel of late C13/early C14. The money to build the tower
bequeathed by a Rector in 1486. (Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of
England - South and West Somerset, 1958).


Listing NGR: ST5468023013

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.