This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9065 / 50°54'23"N
Longitude: -2.792 / 2°47'31"W
OS Eastings: 344411
OS Northings: 112188
OS Grid: ST444121
Mapcode National: GBR MG.R8G8
Mapcode Global: FRA 561Q.23K
Entry Name: Chapel Cottage and Miller's Cottage, Court Mill, and Front Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 4 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1056861
English Heritage Legacy ID: 262383
Location: Merriott, South Somerset, Somerset, TA16
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Merriott
Built-Up Area: Merriott
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Merriott
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
ST4412 MERRIOTT CP LOWER STREET (South side, off)
9/133 Chapel Cottage and Miller's
Cottage, Court Mill, with front
Pair of cottages, formerly one house. Late C17/early C18, modified in C19. Ham stone cut and squared, ashlar dressings;
Welsh slate roof between stepped coped gables; brick and chimney stacks. Two storeys, 3 bays. To ground floor, under a
continuous string, bay 1 has a 4-light hollow-chamfer mullioned window in chamfered recess, one light
rectangular-leaded, and a 4-light sash window in bay 3. To first floor, 3-light horizontal-bar casement windows with
timber lintols. To lower bay 2 a flat-arched doorway, C20 part-glazed door. Against north-west gable a single-storey.
extension with hipped plain clay tiled roof: high wing wall abutting south-east gable with return to front boundary
wall. Interior not seen. About 6 metres south-west of house the boundary walling, in near-ashlar, about 1.25m high,
having a thin angled coping: opposite the doorway a pair of wrought-iron gates with arrowhead and scroll decoration,
probably C19. The millers house of Court Mill (qv), first recorded in 1573, but which ceased to grind in the 1930s.
(VCH Somerset, Vol IV, 1978, p59).
Listing NGR: ST4441112188
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings