This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.933 / 50°55'58"N
Longitude: -2.786 / 2°47'9"W
OS Eastings: 344865
OS Northings: 115136
OS Grid: ST448151
Mapcode National: GBR MG.PJ0R
Mapcode Global: FRA 561M.Y66
Entry Name: Barn and Other Outbuildings About 60 Metres South East of Wigborough Manor House
Listing Date: 19 April 1961
Last Amended: 18 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1056930
English Heritage Legacy ID: 264280
Location: South Petherton, South Somerset, Somerset, TA13
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: South Petherton
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: South Petherton with the Seavingtons and the Lambrooks
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
SOUTH PETHERTON CP
2/195 Barn and other outbuildings about
60 metres south-east of
Wigborough Manor House
(formerly listed as Barn 40yds.
S.S.E. of Wigborough Manor House)
Barns, stables, granary with cellar. C18, part dated 1765. Ham stone, mostly cut and squared with ashlar dressings;
Welsh slate roofs with coped gables, of which the south gable has a ball finial, and the west gable of the centre block
has a lion finial, set over a datestone inscribed 'H/RJ/1765' (for Robert Hilliard, who purchased the manor in 1762).
'Z'-plan. The southwards range has stables with a loft over to most of it, with a throughway at the southend: the
central east-west crosswing has a granary at the west end, with a loft doorway in the west gable approached by a stone
staircase, over which is a small 2-light mullioned window with hoodmould; the north side of this block has a collar
truss roof, with in the north wall a segmental-arched opening, a central doorway, a blocked doorway and a 2-light
beaded mullioned window in architrave with vertical iron bars and shutters, followed by a plain chamfered doorway:
northwards range to match, with weathervane on north gable, loft here now removed: in east wall three 2-light casement
windows with shutters, also a slit vent: in the angle between the northwards and eastward wing a horse engine house or
wring house. (SSAVBRG Report, unpublished SRO, January 1985).
Listing NGR: ST4486515136
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings