History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wing to Barrington Court

A Grade II* Listed Building in Barrington, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9606 / 50°57'38"N

Longitude: -2.8589 / 2°51'32"W

OS Eastings: 339772

OS Northings: 118259

OS Grid: ST397182

Mapcode National: GBR MC.MX2M

Mapcode Global: FRA 46XK.S1D

Entry Name: Wing to Barrington Court

Listing Date: 17 April 1959

Last Amended: 20 September 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1056932

English Heritage Legacy ID: 264294

Location: Barrington, South Somerset, Somerset, TA19

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Barrington

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Barrington

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
Barrington

Listing Text

ST3918 BARRINGTON CP
BARRINGTON COURT ESTATE

9/168 Wing to Barrington Court
(previously listed as
outbuildings immediately west of
Barrington Court)
17.4.59

GV II*

Stables, now wing to Barrington Court, (qv). Dated:- "1674" in blue headers, embellished 1760, altered to form part of
Barrington Court 1921-25 by Forbes and Tate for A.A. Lyle. Brick with Hamstone dressings, hipped plain tile roofs, tall
grouped brick stacks to ridges. U-plan with stable-yard, now a quadrangle with a central 'fountain court'. The
south-east front virtually as in 1760, 2 storeys, 3:1:3 bays, semi-circular head windows with imposts and keystones,
except square head window to centre of first floor with a pediment. Door opening to each side with a triangular
pediment, and twin central semi-circular head carriage openings, now glazed. West front all by Forbes and Tate,
1:3:1:3:1 bays, small square windows to first floor with architraves and triple keys, semi-circular head openings on
ground floor with keys and imposts, predominantly French windows. Central 'fountain court' with pool and carved
figures; mullioned and transomed windows. (Country Life, September 17, l908; November 7, 1925; March 17; 1928;
September 9, 1949; July 28, 1960; VCH, vol IV, 1978; VCH, vol IV, 1978).


Listing NGR: ST3977218259

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.