This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9332 / 50°55'59"N
Longitude: -2.8405 / 2°50'25"W
OS Eastings: 341030
OS Northings: 115196
OS Grid: ST410151
Mapcode National: GBR MD.PG66
Mapcode Global: FRA 46YM.TDL
Entry Name: Seavington House, and Front Boundary Walling and Railing
Listing Date: 4 February 1958
Last Amended: 18 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1056963
English Heritage Legacy ID: 264166
Location: Seavington St. Michael, South Somerset, Somerset, TA19
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Seavington St Michael
Built-Up Area: Seavington St Michael
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: South Petherton with the Seavingtons and the Lambrooks
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
SEAVINGTON ST MICHAEL CP CHURCH LANE (East side)
2/86 Seavington House, and front
boundary walling and railings
Detached house. Early C19, before 1839. Ham stone ashlar; Welsh slate roof between coped gables; brick end chimney
stacks. Three storeys, 3 bays. Plinth, eaves cornice with secret gutter, plain end pilasters; 16-pane sash windows in
plain openings, in diminishing sizes: to lower bay 2 a 6-panel Regency style door, up 3 steps, with open stone porch
having Tuscan columns on panelled plinths, no wall pilasters, plain entablature with flat roof. Against south gable a
single-storey extension with swept coping to roof, having a plain pilaster and matching 16-pane sash window: a matching
north wing demolished in 1960s/1970s for road widening. Interior not seen. Extending in a curve from north-west corner
a mid C20 reconstructed stone wall, as far as the gateway opposite the porch; thereafter a low stone wall with wrought-
iron spearpoint railings having arch-braced uncapped standards, matched by the gates, curving round to a moulded coped
ashlar wall about 1.2 metres high which returns to the south-west corner of the extension: the railings and south
walling adding considerably to the setting of the house and of the streetscape generally. By 1839 this house was at the
centre of the largest farm in the parish. (VCH, Vol III, 1974).
Listing NGR: ST4103015196
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings