History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Two Carved Figures and a Direction Stone Against North West Corner of Petherton Bridge at Ngr St 4500 1670

A Grade II Listed Building in South Petherton, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9472 / 50°56'50"N

Longitude: -2.7835 / 2°47'0"W

OS Eastings: 345055

OS Northings: 116715

OS Grid: ST450167

Mapcode National: GBR MG.NQLX

Mapcode Global: FRA 561L.Z9F

Entry Name: Two Carved Figures and a Direction Stone Against North West Corner of Petherton Bridge at Ngr St 4500 1670

Listing Date: 18 February 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1056969

English Heritage Legacy ID: 264174

Location: South Petherton, South Somerset, Somerset, TA12

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: South Petherton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: South Petherton with the Seavingtons and the Lambrooks

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
South Petherton

Listing Text

SOUTH PETHERTON CP
ST41NE
3/90 Two carved figures and a
direction stone against
north-west corner of Petherton
Bridge at NGR ST 4500 1670

GV II

Two figures and a direction stone. Possibly C15 and C18. All in carved Ham stone. The figures are of a boy and a girl, about one metre high, set in a special housing at the side of the bridge: they are said to be a memorial to two
children who drowned from the former decayed wooden bridge, which as a memorial to them was replaced by a 3-arch stone bridge, demolished in the early 1970s: this is thought to have been a Roman crossing point of the Fosse Way. The
direction stone, now set immediately to the west, is presumably relocated from the junction of the Fossway and the old road to Yeovil; it is about 450mm x 150mm, and 600mm high, tapered with rounded top, and is inscribed on the north face
'THE RIG/(H)T HAND/ R0A(D)/ LEAD(S)/ TO YEO/(VIL)'. (Greenwood C and J, Somerset Delineated, 1822: VCH, Vol III, 1974:
Bentley JB and Murless BJ, Somerset Roads, SIAS, 1985).


Listing NGR: ST4505516714

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.