This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9551 / 50°57'18"N
Longitude: -2.7943 / 2°47'39"W
OS Eastings: 344302
OS Northings: 117596
OS Grid: ST443175
Mapcode National: GBR MG.N1W1
Mapcode Global: FRA 561L.75P
Entry Name: Joylers Mill and Mill House
Listing Date: 18 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1056978
English Heritage Legacy ID: 264203
Location: South Petherton, South Somerset, Somerset, TA13
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: South Petherton
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: South Petherton with the Seavingtons and the Lambrooks
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
SOUTH PETHERTON CP MILL LANE (East side)
2/119 Joylers Mill and Mill House
Mill and mill house. Mill recorded by 1313; present mill early C19, house late C19. Mill in Ham stone roughly cut and
squared, ashlar dressings; clay pantiled roof over stone slate base courses between stepped coped gables. Three storeys
with attic; 4 bays irregular fenestration. Chamfer-mullioned windows of 2 lights without labels, to bay 2 second floor,
bays 1 and 3 first floor and 1, 2 and 3 ground floor: double doors in plain chamfered opening with heavy lintel between
bay 1/2, and also pair to bay 2 first floor: to bay 4 a projecting timber and corrugated iron structure 2 storeys
higher with cantilevered top, protecting a drive shaft, and to left a semi-circular arched doorway into waterwheel
well: wheel and much machinery still in position. Attached to east gable a later single-storey building to match, and
to west a 2-storey link to house, with double Roman clay tiled roof and doors at both levels, the lower
segmental-arched. The house has stone plinth, red brick in stretcher bond with yellow brick window arches and upper
band course, overhung gabled Welsh slate roof, brick chimney stacks: 2 storeys, 3 bays: casement windows with segmental
arched heads; doorway in lower bay 2 to match, verandah along front. Interiors not seen. The mill wheel undershot, and
assisted by a small turbine: the leat now filled in: milling ceased about 1930 (VCH, Vol III, 1974).
Listing NGR: ST4430217596
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings