This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9191 / 50°55'8"N
Longitude: -2.886 / 2°53'9"W
OS Eastings: 337815
OS Northings: 113669
OS Grid: ST378136
Mapcode National: GBR MB.QGMT
Mapcode Global: FRA 46VP.1GK
Entry Name: Kingstone Farmhouse
Listing Date: 4 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1056988
English Heritage Legacy ID: 264121
Location: Kingstone, South Somerset, Somerset, TA19
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Kingstone
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Kingstone
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
ST31SE KINGSTONE CP KINGSTONE VILLAGE
4/37 Kingstone Farmhouse
Detached farmhouse. Early C16, reshaped C17 and later. Ham stone rubble and near ashlar, with ashlar dressings; plain
clay tiled roof with stone slate base courses between stepped coped gables; stone and brick chimney stacks. 'T'-plan; 2
storeys with attics. Entrance in west crosswing which is 3-bay: hollow-chamfer mullioned windows to upper bay 1 and
lower bays 2 and 3 (the latter of C20); blocked window upper bay 2, and 3-light C18 pattern leaded casement to upper
bay 3; to lower bay 1 an ashlar stone porch with Welsh slate roof, the doorway probably of C19. On north gable of
crosswing a 3-light hollow-chamfered mullioned window without label above, and below a l+2+l light angled bay window
with beaded mullions and flat roof; against remainder of north elevation an outshut with a half-hipped 2-storey
building attached to the north-east corner, (formerly thatched but unroofed March 1986). On east gable of east wing a
4-light mullioned window with label to first floor. The south elevation of 3 bays has the projecting gable of crosswing
to bay 1, with proudstanding chimney stack and mullioned window to attic, with a 4 and a 3-light hollow chamfer.
Mullioned window to lower bays 2 and 3, with C20 casement to upper bay 2 and stairlight to left; marked straight joint
between bays 2 and 3; beaded mullioned window in return. Internally the north room of the west crosswing has two rough
beams formerly plastered over, and in west wall a possible old fireplace concealed by C20 insertion; the central lobby
has a later staircase possibly on the site of the original; and the south room has a 4-panel chamfer-beam ceiling, and
the window in the east wall has vertical iron and saddlebars, with rebates for shutters, and another suspected early
fireplace; the west room of the east wing has a modified fireplace with formerly a gable chimney, and a wattle-and-daub
partition into outshut on north side, and the beams are chamfered with keel stops. The east room of the east wing is an
addition; with second straight staircase, and keel-stopped beams with jettied arrangement to north wall. Not all the
roof trusses are accessible, but in the west crosswing the trusses are windbraced in at least part, and are carried on
the walls, not on crucks. It is suggested that this is a T-shaped house of the early C16, possibly all 2-storey but
alternatively with a 3-bay open ball; the east room of the east wing and some modifications of c1600, with further
modifications in the mid C18. To the north of the added room, and obscuring the jetty, a 2-storied building with one
C18 window having internal shutters, and a small stair window in the west wall, with brick-built oven in north wall:
there is said to be a well under the floor; this could be the successor to a detached kitchen. This property was the
Rectory House of Kingstone, and was given to the Vicars Choral of Wells Cathedral in 1382. In 1636 the house carried an
orchard, garden, two barns, a stable with outhouses and a great court with a pigeon house. By 1650 the accommodation is
described as hall, kitchen, buttery, and several 'lodging rooms' over, with one barn (q.v) of stone with thatched roof.
(VCH, Vol III, l974; VAG Report, unpublished SRO, March 1984).
Listing NGR: ST3781513669
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings