This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.934 / 50°56'2"N
Longitude: -2.8456 / 2°50'43"W
OS Eastings: 340678
OS Northings: 115288
OS Grid: ST406152
Mapcode National: GBR MD.PDWV
Mapcode Global: FRA 46XM.Z36
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 4 February 1958
Last Amended: 18 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1057000
English Heritage Legacy ID: 264159
Location: Seavington St. Mary, South Somerset, Somerset, TA19
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Seavington St Mary
Built-Up Area: Seavington St Michael
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: South Petherton with the Seavingtons and the Lambrooks
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
SEAVINGTON ST MARY CP UPTON LANE (West side)
The Old Rectory
(formerly listed as the Rectory)
Detached house, formerly the Rectory. C17 origins, remodelled in C18. Ham stone ashlar and near-ashlar; hipped Welsh
slate roof; rendered chimney sticks. Two storeys with attics, 5 x 5 bays. Plinth, eaves cornice with secret gutter;
12-pane sash windows in architraves, some with thick glazing bars; lower windows have hoods over, and the upper centre
has an eared architrave and console bracket to cill; to lower centre bay a 6-panel door up 2 steps; with flanking Doric
pilasters, full entablature and pediment hood. South elevation of 5 bays to match, but the central doorway has a
moulded recess and flat hood on console brackets, above which is a semi-circular arched 24-pane sash window with 'Y'
tracery to head, the architrave having imposts and keystone; roof has 4 C20 flat-roofed dormer windows. North side has
two 5-light ovolo-mould mullioned windows with labels, the lower having one light blocked off, and also 2 small-pane
casements: range of single-storey buildings attached to rear. Interior not seen, but reported is the demolition of a
service wing in 1954, and also that all the original ceilings and fireplaces have been removed. (VCH, Vol III,
Listing NGR: ST4067815288
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings