History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Seavington St. Michael, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.931 / 50°55'51"N

Longitude: -2.8407 / 2°50'26"W

OS Eastings: 341013

OS Northings: 114947

OS Grid: ST410149

Mapcode National: GBR MD.PN3Q

Mapcode Global: FRA 46YN.140

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 4 February 1958

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1057002

English Heritage Legacy ID: 264163

Location: Seavington St. Michael, South Somerset, Somerset, TA19

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Seavington St Michael

Built-Up Area: Seavington St Michael

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: South Petherton with the Seavingtons and the Lambrooks

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
South Petherton

Listing Text

SEAVINGTON ST MICHAEL CP CHURCH LANE (East side)
ST41SW
5/83 Church of St Michael
4.2.58

GV II*

Anglican parish church. Late C12, possibly refenestrated, porched c1291; C15 alterations, gallery of c1800, vestry
1858, reseating of 1899. Ham stone rubble, ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof between stepped coped gables, with low
parapet to nave. Two-cell plan of single-bay chancel, 3-bay nave, with north porch, south-east vestry and western bell
turret. Chancel has no plinth, but clasping corner buttresses without offsets; 2-light east window, C14 tracery under
pointed-arched plain-stopped label; north wall has 2-light flat-arched C15 windows, trefoil-cusped lights with incised
spandrils, all set in hollow rectangular recess with deep square plain-stopped label; on south side the leanto vestry,
with similar flat-arched window but not in a recess, in the east wall. Nave has corner buttresses to half-height, and
added bay buttresses on south side to full height; centre bay on south side has a blocked chamfered pointed-arched
doorway, with diamond-leaded window inserted with cill just below springing; on either side a 2-light C15 early
Perpendicular traceried window, no recesses, plain-stepped labels; similar windows on north wall, but the north-east is
3-light with square-stop label; west window also 3-light C15, with pointed-arched square-stopped label, below being a
small buttress and above a semi-circular arched plain window to serve the gallery. Crowning west wall is the bell
turret; simple ashlar west gable with arched openings for 2 bells, and to east a Welsh slate-clad casing: until the
1770s a stone tower is mentioned, but in 1822 a wooden turret with 3 bells is described - either or both may refer to
this structure. North porch has chamfered plinth, ball finial to north gable; 2-order moulded pointed outer arch and
simple pointed inner arch; bench seats, segmental barrel vault ceiling. Interior mostly C19 reshaping: chancel very
plain, with C19 scissor-truss roof; trefoil-cusped piscina in south wall of sanctuary; double-panelled chancel arch to
almost full width. Nave has segmental plaster barel vault of 1825, with gallery at west end; another piscina,
cinquefoil cusped, in south wall, and near chancel arch four later C14 corbel brackets for rood loft or lenten veil,
two having carved heads. Choirstalls removed: fittings in chancel of C19 and C20; likewise in nave except for a
circular tub font on rectangular base, probably C12/C13, with late C18 cover. Charles II hatchment over north door: in
chancel the effigy of a man, c1280-90, possibly Adam le Denys, Lord of the Manor of Seavington St Denys, d.1284. Two
fragments of early medieval glass in tracery of south-west nave window, and C18 glass panel in west window. First
mention of church in 1226, first recorded rector 1297. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958;
VCH, Vol III, 1974; Greenwood, C and J, Somerset Delineated, 1822).


Listing NGR: ST4101314947

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.