History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ilton, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9526 / 50°57'9"N

Longitude: -2.924 / 2°55'26"W

OS Eastings: 335189

OS Northings: 117423

OS Grid: ST351174

Mapcode National: GBR M8.NC0J

Mapcode Global: FRA 46RL.JMZ

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 4 February 1958

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1057052

English Heritage Legacy ID: 263975

Location: Ilton, South Somerset, Somerset, TA19

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Ilton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Ilton

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
Ilminster

Listing Text

ST31NE
3/75

ILTON CP,
CHURCH ROAD (East side, off),
Church of St. Peter

4.2.58

GV II*

Anglican parish church. Some C12 and C13 fragments, mostly C14, restored 1860, with chancel rebuilt and north aisle chapel added by James Mountford Allen. Local stone rubble, some cut and squared, Ham stone dressings; Welsh slate roofs between coped gables, with stone slate base courses to nave, sheet lead to north aisle. Five-cell plan of 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave, south transept, 3-bay north aisle and 2-bay north aisle chapel, with south tower incorporating porch. Chancel has plinth, eaves course and angled corner buttresses; east window a C19 3-light Geometric traceried with label; side windows are 2- light reticulated tracery, one on north and two on south side with chamfered pointed-arched doorway with label between; in south west angle with transept a low octagonal-plan extension with steeply hipped lead sheet roof and cusped lancet windows, probably C19. forth aisle chapel has plinth, corner buttresses, with a late C15 style east window having headstop label; in north wall one window to match chancel side windows, possibly a re-use from there. North aisle has tall double plinth, bay buttresses and pairs of offset buttresses to north-west corner; three C15 style 2-light windows in slightly hollowed recesses in north wall and one to west. South transept has no plinth, angled corner buttresses; a 3-light C19 traceried window with label in south gable, and,2-light to match, probably C15, in east wall. Nave visible only at west end, with plinth, pair of offset corner buttresses, with one window in south wall matching those of north aisle; in west gable a tall moulded pointed-arched doorway without label, with late C19 3-light window over set in hollowed recess under headstop label. Tower may have C12 base, now rendered; 2 stages; small angled south-east corner buttress: in south face a moulded pointed-arched doorway with headstop label, and small 2-light double-cusped lancet window over, above which is a stone sundial; on west side a single cusped lancet at low level and slim lancet above; string mould divides second stage, which has a low plain parapet, and one 2-light C15 style window with stone louvres to each face. Interior not accessible, but noted or reported are rere-arches to the chancel window and elaborately cusped rere-arches in the south transept, C15 chancel and transept arches, with north arcade to match. Fittings include an ogee-arched piscina resting on a head corbel, plain C17 pulpit, font probably C19; in north aisle several glazed tiles of c1540. Memorials include the defaced alabster effigy of a lady, of c1475, and a brass to Nicholas Wadham, died 1508, with effigy in shroud, and plaque to Jane, Lady Wadham, died 1557. South west nave window has engraved glass by Lawrence Whistler. First recorded vicar 1221. An 1822 report speaks of wooden spire to tower, and, probably erroneously, of two aisles. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England South and West Somerset, 1958; Greenwood C & J, Somerset Delineated, 1822).


Listing NGR: ST3518917423

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.