History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Donyatt, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9222 / 50°55'19"N

Longitude: -2.9415 / 2°56'29"W

OS Eastings: 333916

OS Northings: 114057

OS Grid: ST339140

Mapcode National: GBR M8.Q6KM

Mapcode Global: FRA 46QN.XGD

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 4 February 1958

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1057074

English Heritage Legacy ID: 263923

Location: Donyatt, South Somerset, Somerset, TA19

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Donyatt

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Donyatt

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
Ilminster

Listing Text

DONYATT CP CHURCH STREET (North side)
ST31SW
4/40 Church of St Mary
4.2.58

GV II*

Anglican parish church. C15 rebuild of earlier church. Ham stone with some grey lies, cut and squared with ashlar
dressings; sheet lead roofs behind battlemented parapets. Four-cell plan of 2-bay chancel,4-bay nave,5-bay north and
south aisles, with south porch and west tower. Chancel has double plinth, string course with gargoyles, moulded
battlemented parapets, angled corner buttresses, east window 4-light, early pattern sub-arcuated with cusped transome
set in hollowed recess without label; single 3-light windows with transomes to match on north and south sides, the
tracery possibly a little later. North aisle apparently a later C15 addition, with plinths, string stepped up for
eastern bay, and plain parapet with simple coping, angled corner butresses and one buttress between bays 3/4; east
window possibly C16, wide 4-light under 4-centred arch, traceried, set in hollowed recess; side windows 3-light to
match but with 2-centre arches; blocked moulded pointed arched doorway to bay 4; west window matches those to north,
and cuts into tower stair turret. South aisle matches chancel with angled corner and bay buttresses; east window
matches that of north aisle, as do three of the south side windows; the most westerly on the south side has different
C15 tracery but the Nest window matches the 3 on the side. South porch apparently contemporary with aisle, flat roofed
behind battlemented parapet, no buttresses; moulded pointed outer and inner arches, bench seats, ceiling a C19
restoration, The nave appears only as the clerestorey under battlemented parapets, with 3-light flat-arched windows
with 4-centre-arched lights, in hollow-chamfered reveals. Tower in 3 stages; double plinth, string courses, the top
with gargoyles; battlemented parapet with panelled bases for pinnacles to corners and centres, the latter set
diagonally; full-height offset pairs of corner buttresses; north-eastern stair turret slightly taller than tower,
square at base, broaching into octagonal plan during second stage, and crowned with weathervane, having thin slit
windows: west door in moulded pointed archway with label continued from upper plinth mould; above a 4-light
sub-arcuated traceried window; stage 2 has a small cinquefoil-cusped window in rectangular recess on west face; north
face plain stages 1 and 2, south face has clockface and 2-light window stage 2; to all sides stage 3 are 2-light C15
traceried and transomed windows with pierced stone baffles, Inside, the fittings mostly C19, but restoration discreet,
Chancel has moulded rib and boarded ceiling with leaf bosses incorporating some early fragments; arches into side
chapels have circular shafts with hollows, the capitals having a stiff leaf decoration. Nave and aisle roofs almost
totally C19, but the arcades C15; the chancel arch to full width and almost full height of ceiling, with foliated
capitals which also occur on first jambs of nave arcade; tall panelled tower arch, Fittings include credence table of
c1700; fine early C17 panelled octagonal timber pulpit with pairs quasi-Ionic pilasters at each angle set on a stone
base probably of C19; low font, octagonal with quatrefoil panels each face, on simple base, C15 style but may be C19;
some of the nave pews incorporate C15/C16 bench ends from the nearby manor chapel, now demolished; screen to tower arch
incorporates some C15 work, but parts clumsily reversed; holy water stoup on jamb jamb of east arcade bay, north aisle,
and another outside west door; C18 clarinet preserved in south aisle. Memorial tablet to Revd. Charles Campbell,
Rector, died 1746. First recorded rector 1255. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1985).<


Listing NGR: ST3391614057

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.