This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9152 / 50°54'54"N
Longitude: -2.7523 / 2°45'8"W
OS Eastings: 347212
OS Northings: 113129
OS Grid: ST472131
Mapcode National: GBR MJ.QLJV
Mapcode Global: FRA 563P.CLH
Entry Name: Church of Saint Margaret
Listing Date: 19 April 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1057169
English Heritage Legacy ID: 263751
Location: West and Middle Chinnock, South Somerset, Somerset, TA18
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: West and Middle Chinnock
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST41SE WEST CHINNOCK CP
3/193 Church of Saint Margaret
Church. C12 origins, with C14/C15 tower and South porch; most of the remainder rebuilt in phases during C19. Ham stone
ashlar and dressings; Welsh slates between coped gables, stone slates to porch. Cruciform plan, with West tower and
South porch; Chancel in C14 style, 2 bays, probably rebuilt 1866/67; offset corner buttresses to 2/3 height, plinth,
cill course; 3-light traceried East window and 2- light traceried windows to side walls. North and South transepts
added in 1836; plain with simple plinth to North transept and East wall of South transept, no buttresses; 2-light
traceried windows in C14 style in end and East walls. Nave of 3-bays plus crossing, reshaped with removal of galleries
1866/67; buttresses to bays on North wall, South porch in middle South wall; C15 and C16 style traceried windows.
South porch of early C14, with plinth, stepped coping to gable, crowned by unusual hollowed sundial needing no gnomon;
transitional style arch in chamfered recess, the rear of columns and capitals cut away for former floors; bench seats,
under the West being a cusped canopy with recumbent effigy thought to be a C14 priest, the whole restored 1928 by W. D.
Caroe. Entrance through fine C12 doorway with outer chevroned order around jambs and arch, and similar inner order to
jambs, with zig-zag ornament to lintel, fish scale decoration to tympanum surmounted by lozenge style arch; the door
probably C17. Tower basically of C14, in 2 stages with plinth, offset angled buttresses to height of taller first
stage, rectangular plan stair turret at the East end of the North side, to halfway up stage 2; crenellation to stair
turret and main tower, the latter having corner pinnacles, lead spouts to West corners and gargoyles to East corners;
simple moulded 4-centre arched doorway in West wall under square label with figure stops, the left of which appears to
be a bishop; immediately above a 3-light traceried window of mid C15 under printed label; second stage has small plain
cusped lancets cut into single rectangular stones, with recessed spardrils under square labels, one to each face. The
interior mostly C19 in character, with ribbed panelled barrel vault ceilings, wide chancel and transept arches in C14
style, tall tower arch of C15 with two continuous panels; pulpit possibly of C18, octagonal with fielded panels;
hatchment of 1660; font of C12 with unusual scroll band decoration to bowl, on slightly later base; some probably C18
parelling incorporated into pews in South transept. (W.D. Caroe or collaborator, brief notes in church 1928).
Listing NGR: ST4721213129
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings