History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Weston House

A Grade II* Listed Building in East Chinnock, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 50.9179 / 50°55'4"N

Longitude: -2.7232 / 2°43'23"W

OS Eastings: 349258

OS Northings: 113411

OS Grid: ST492134

Mapcode National: GBR MK.QFWX

Mapcode Global: FRA 565P.4X8

Entry Name: Weston House

Listing Date: 19 April 1961

Last Amended: 30 August 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1057208

English Heritage Legacy ID: 263634

Location: East Chinnock, South Somerset, Somerset, BA22

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: East Chinnock

Built-Up Area: East Chinnock

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
East Chinnock

Listing Text


3/76 Weston House
(formerly listed as Weston Farm


Farmhouse. Dated 1637. Local stone rubble with Ham stone dressings; stone slate roof between coped gables; stone end
and centre chimney stacks, the outer new in random stone, the centre in ashlar with moulded cap. Two-storeys with
attic, 4 bays. Plinthed; ovolo mould mullioned windows, several iron bars behind glass, of 4-lights below and
3-lights above, all with labels; entrance door between bays-2 and 3 is modern boarded, but set in moulded cambered
archway and protected by C19 porch. Partial C17 outshut to rear, also a projecting wing; C20 windows in West gable
wall, but C17 windows to first floor and attic in East gable wall. Rear elevation has C17 porch with inscription
(rearranged) R AND G ME FECIT 1637 on door lintel. Interior not seen, but reported are several C17 fireplaces, over
one of which on the first floor is the inscription RICHARDUS BATT ET GRACIA UXOR EIUS HANC AEDEM STROXERUNT ANNO DNI
1637; ceiling beams with chamfers and scroll steps, and stud and panel partition to cross passage. Richard Batt was
Steward to the Portman family, major landowners in the area. (VAG Report, unpublished SRO, 1972.)<1

Listing NGR: ST4925813411

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.