History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tower on St Michaels Hill

A Grade II Listed Building in Montacute, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.95 / 50°56'59"N

Longitude: -2.7224 / 2°43'20"W

OS Eastings: 349348

OS Northings: 116977

OS Grid: ST493169

Mapcode National: GBR MK.NG2K

Mapcode Global: FRA 565L.R5R

Entry Name: Tower on St Michaels Hill

Listing Date: 19 April 1961

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1057255

English Heritage Legacy ID: 263542

Location: Montacute, South Somerset, Somerset, TA15

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Montacute

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Montacute

Listing Text

ST4614 MONTACUTE CP
8/87 Tower on St. Michaels Hill
19.4.61
- II
Folly, used as signal tower. 1760. Ham stone ashlar, flat stone top. Circular on plan, about 3m diameter, and about 12m
tall: chamfered flat- arched doorway on east side, and 3 slit-light windows at various levels on north-west, south and
south-east sectors, illuminating the internal newel stone staircase; at the crown there is a string course, above which
the walls have a marked batter into the flat top: on the east face above the string is a cantilevered platform with
doorway at head of stairs, and an external stair to the flat top, without any surviving guard rails. There is a Greek
inscription over the doorway and the initials 'K.P. 1760' (but Edward Phelips was the likely builder). The hill was the
site of a Norman Castle, mostly demolished to build the Priory of Montacute: St. Michael's Chapel, first recorded 1102,
survived at least until the mid C17; its site now occupied by the tower, which was used as a signal tower to Swayne
Harbin at Newton Surmaville (using the Round House, Item 2/26 Barwick C.P., q.v) and Mr. Goodford, of Chilton Cantelo.
Scheduled Ancient Monument (Somerset County No 101). (Nares S, Country Life, 5th September, 1952, p679).


Listing NGR: ST4934816977

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.