This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9502 / 50°57'0"N
Longitude: -2.7178 / 2°43'3"W
OS Eastings: 349675
OS Northings: 116994
OS Grid: ST496169
Mapcode National: GBR MK.NH7Z
Mapcode Global: FRA 566L.M19
Entry Name: The Old Vicarage and Adjacent Gateway and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 19 April 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1057259
English Heritage Legacy ID: 263555
Location: Montacute, South Somerset, Somerset, TA15
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Montacute
Built-Up Area: Montacute
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST4917 MONTACUTE CP BISHOPSTON (East side)
7/100 No. 43
8/100 (The Old Vicarage), and adjacent
gateway and boundary wall
Former vicarage, now house. 1715, for Revd. John Maurice. Ham stone cut and squared, ashlar dressings; plain clay tiled
roof between coped gables; brick chimney stacks. 'L' plan; 2 storeys, 5 bay south elevation, at right angles to road.
Hollow-chamfered mullioned windows in chamfered recesses without labels; above all 2-light, with early iron-framed
opening lights and sure curl stays; below, later windows to match - large 2-light windows between bays 1/2 and 4/5: to
bay 3 a doorway with ovolo-aauld edge under curtailed hood, with 6-flush-panelled door, flanked by two C20 2-light
windows. Similar older windows in west gables both with labels. Return wing at rear with C18 casement windows, also a
lean-to extension. About 300mm from south-west corner of house a gateway with square stone piers ending in cornice caps
with block step and ball finials; adjoining wall about 900mm high to south and 1.5m high to north, returns eastwards
along Middle Street to mark south boundary, mostly in uncoursed rubble with simple ashlar copings, adding to the
setting of the house and the streetscene in this corner position. Faculty granted to demolish this house in 1828, then
said to be 'very dilapidated', but never executed: it ceased as a vicarage in that year. (VCH Vol III, 1974).
Listing NGR: ST4967516994
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings