This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9364 / 50°56'10"N
Longitude: -2.6855 / 2°41'7"W
OS Eastings: 351926
OS Northings: 115438
OS Grid: ST519154
Mapcode National: GBR ML.PCFT
Mapcode Global: FRA 568M.ML6
Entry Name: The Alcove or Clock Tower, About 20 Metres West of Brympton House
Listing Date: 19 April 1961
Last Amended: 27 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1057264
English Heritage Legacy ID: 263461
Location: Brympton, South Somerset, Somerset, BA22
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Brympton
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST5115 BRYMPTON D'EVERCY CP
10/11 The Alcove, or The Clock Tower,
about 20 metres west of Brympton
(formerly listed as Alcove in
Garden E. of Stables at Brympton
Clock tower with shelter under. Erected 1723, but reusing parts of the C16/early C17 porch removed from Brympton House
(q.v) in 1722; clock tower later C18. Ham stone ashlar; stone slate roof between coped gables; ashlar bell turret.
Square plan, 1 bay each face, 2 storeys set into rising ground. Principal front to south, facing onto forecourt of
house, with semi-circular arch to ground floor with rusticated lozenge decoration, moulded imposts and keystone,
flanked by Doric pilasters carrying plain entablature, the cornice over continued as a string to east and west sides;
above a small quatrefoil panel with Sydenham arms set upside-down, and clockface in gable. On east side, a 2-light
chamfer-mullioned window in recess, no label, unworked top mitres, with diamond-leaded glazing. On north side a boarded
door in 3-centre-arched opening, with label over, approached by vertical timber ladder; above, on this face, the
bellcote, a somewhat simplified copy of that to St. Andrew's Church (q.v), with plain single openings to east and west,
and cruciform openings north and south, moulded eaves and hipped stepped stone roof. Date plaque set high in west wall.
Base said to have been a shelter for visitor's horses; the clock reputed to be the oldest outside timepiece in the West
Country still in working order. (Country Life, 26th November, 1898, 30th November, 1907, 7th and 14th May 1927;
Clive-Ponsonby-Fane, C, Brympton D'Evercy, Brympton Estate, 1980).
Listing NGR: ST5192715437
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings