History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Holy Trinity

A Grade II Listed Building in Ash, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9834 / 50°59'0"N

Longitude: -2.7527 / 2°45'9"W

OS Eastings: 347258

OS Northings: 120712

OS Grid: ST472207

Mapcode National: GBR MJ.L6G0

Mapcode Global: FRA 563J.5D4

Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 28 April 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1057286

English Heritage Legacy ID: 263409

Location: Ash, South Somerset, Somerset, TA12

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Ash

Built-Up Area: Ash (South Somerset)

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Martock

Listing Text

Church of The Holy Trinity, Main Street.
11/24
3/24

------------------------------------

Church of The Holy Trinity, Main Street.
11/24
3/24

------------------------------------
ST4720 ASH CP MAIN STREET (South side)

11/24 Church of the Holy Trinity

-

GV II

Anglican Parish Church. 1841 by Sampson Kempthorne, chancel added 1887, tower added 1919. Ham stone cut and squared,
ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roofed between coped gables. Two-cell plan of 3-bay chancel and 5-bay nave, with
south-east lean-to vestry and west tower. Chancel simple, with plinth, angled corner buttresses, with triple-lancet
east window having separate labels and continued cill string; pointed arched north doorway; vestry on south side has
pointed-arched east door and 2 lancets without labels in south wall. Nave very simple, with chamfered plinth, single
lancet windows without labels. Tower in 3 stages; pecked stone band courses, plain chamfer-corbelled parapet with
corner pinnacles and 3 pointed stones each face; chamfered pointed arched west door in lowest stage; stage 2 has west
lancet with label, and door in south side approached by reinforced concrete stair with iron pipe handrail; to third
stage pointed arched windows with labels, with timber inserts of Y-tracery and decorative pierced baffles. Inside,
plain arch-braced collar truss roof to chancel and queen post trusses to nave: chancel unplastered ashlar; segmental
labels with flowerstops to doors, wide C13 style chancel arch: nave walls plastered, flush-panel timber dado. Fittings
include fine reredos, and octagonal font, C15 style, presented in 1891, possibly replacing that outside by chancel
door. (Pevsner, N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).


Listing NGR: ST4725820712

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.