This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1764 / 51°10'35"N
Longitude: -3.4882 / 3°29'17"W
OS Eastings: 296065
OS Northings: 142958
OS Grid: SS960429
Mapcode National: GBR LJ.6045
Mapcode Global: VH5K4.HP8K
Entry Name: Knowle Riding Centre
Listing Date: 5 June 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1057302
English Heritage Legacy ID: 265374
Location: Timberscombe, West Somerset, Somerset, TA24
District: West Somerset
Civil Parish: Timberscombe
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
SS94SE TIMBERSCOMBE CP _
7/91 Knowle Riding Centre
Country house, now residential centre. Circa 1878 on earlier site by J D Sedding for Mr Hole. Squared red sandstone,
Ham stone dressings, steeply pitched slate roof, decorative ridge tiles, obelisk finials to gabled end bays and central
porch, large roughcast stacks to rear. Shallow E-plan. Elizabethan style. Two storeys with attic, 1:3:1:3:1 bays,
3-storey central porch, gable swept up to segmental pediment flanked by obelisks, patterned slate-hung returns to upper
storey, 3-light window, pedimented top to 3-light mullioned and transomed first floor window flanked by engaged
obelisks, entrance segmental pediment carried on fluted Ionic columns, leaded fanlight, C20 many paned door, flanked by
three 3-light mullioned and transomed windows, single light in central bay left, moulded string course on brackets,
ground floor with empty semi-circular headed niches in central bays, moulded string course below carried on brackets,
gabled end bays with 2-storey canted bays of 4-light mullioned and transomed windows with pediments similar to porch.
lost of first floor windows have original circular leading, Panels carved with heraldic achievements below segmental
pediments gable ends inscribed Anno D. and 18-- (eroded). C20 single storey addition right not included, on site of
original conservatory. Sedding was the architect to the Diocese of Bath and Wells. (Illustrated in The Builder).
Listing NGR: SS9606542958
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings