This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1344 / 51°8'3"N
Longitude: -3.6341 / 3°38'2"W
OS Eastings: 285765
OS Northings: 138503
OS Grid: SS857385
Mapcode National: GBR L9.8Z1H
Mapcode Global: VH5K7.YRP8
Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalene
Listing Date: 6 April 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1057319
English Heritage Legacy ID: 265416
Location: Exford, West Somerset, Somerset, TA24
District: West Somerset
Civil Parish: Exford
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
SS83NE EXFORD CP CHURCH HILL (North side)
Church of St Mary Magdalene
Parish church. Tower mid C15, south aisle 1532-42, nave and chancel largely rebuilt and porch added 1867, church
restored 1893, vestry screen added 1924, organ presented 1924, pulpit 1929, medieval screen reassembled 1929. Red
sandstone random rubble, coursed on tower, slate hung west end of aisle, slate roofs, decorative ridge tiles to aisle
only, no coped verges except to porch. West tower, 3-bay nave, 4-bay south aisle, south porch and chancel. Crenellated
3-stage tower, moulded plinth, full height diagonal buttresses, moulded string courses, trefoil headed 2-light louvred
bell openings, 3-light west window with angel and devil terminals to hood mould and angel above, carved hood moulds to
4-centred arch head west doorway, north-east crenellated stair turret; south aisle 3-light cinquefoil headed mullions,
one left and 2 right of single storey gabled and unbuttressed C19 porch, pointed arch opening with colonettes, moulded
pointed arch inner doorway with C19 door; stepped buttress between second and third bays, 3-light east window to aisle,
south chancel wall unlit, 5-light east window, three 3-light windows on north front, chancel buttressed. Interior:
rendered. Four-bay Perpendicular arcade of clustered columns with vineleaf decorated capitals. No chancel arch;
chamfered, semi-circular tower arch filled by panelled screen dated 1923 forming vestry. C19 arch braced roofs. C19
auabry and stone reredos. Organ in eastern end of south aisle designed by Sir Niniam Comper with painted Giorgionesque
panels from a private house, presented 1924. Good Perpendicular octagonal font. Parish chest dated in studs 1772.
Tablet to Robert Baker died 1730. C15 screen from the demolished medieval church of St Audries, West Quantoxhead,
fanvaulted with remains of 4 friezes, 6 and 2 half bays with double doors, ressembled 1929. Formerly known as the
Church of St Salvyn. (Photograph in NMR; Kelly's Directory, 1906; Allen, The Churches and Chapels of Exmoor, 1974).
Listing NGR: SS8576538503
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings