History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wychanger

A Grade II Listed Building in Luccombe, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1874 / 51°11'14"N

Longitude: -3.5594 / 3°33'33"W

OS Eastings: 291115

OS Northings: 144286

OS Grid: SS911442

Mapcode National: GBR LF.5D2M

Mapcode Global: VH5K3.8F42

Entry Name: Wychanger

Listing Date: 22 May 1969

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1057333

English Heritage Legacy ID: 265336

Location: Luccombe, West Somerset, Somerset, TA24

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset

Civil Parish: Luccombe

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Luccombe

Listing Text

SS9142 LUCCOMBE CP
LUCCOMBE VILLAGE

14/53 Wychanger

22.5.69

GV II

Part of manor house now semi-detached dwellings. Probably late C16-early C17, altered and refenestrated early and mid
C19. Roughcast over random rubble, thatched roof hipped to right, large external roughcast stone stack left gable end,
brick stack centre, tall brick stack rising from eaves on right return. Plan; not clear without internal inspection,
thought to be 3-4 cell service wing of farmhouse. Gothick style. Two storeys, 3:2 bays, thatch continued as pentice
roofs to 2-light ogee headed bay windows, with circular leading carried on shaped brackets, second and fourth bays
left, other first floor windows 2-light with divided tracery, ground floor 2 segmental headed recesses flanking
entrance filled right with 4-light French windows, divided tracery, left renewed C20 with similar 2-light window, two
2-light windows with divided tracery in end bays right; entrance half-glazed door, gabled rustic wooden porch. Right
return first floor 2-light window with divided tracery, C20 window below. Wychanger (qv) abutting to right. Interior
not sighted, William Harrison died 1615, with a fine brass in the Church of St Mary the Virgin (qv) owned this
property. The history of the Manor is discussed by Chadwick-Healey. (Chadwick-Healey, The History of the Part of West
Somerset, 1901).


Listing NGR: SS9111544286

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.