This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1903 / 51°11'25"N
Longitude: -3.195 / 3°11'42"W
OS Eastings: 316582
OS Northings: 144133
OS Grid: ST165441
Mapcode National: GBR LX.58CG
Mapcode Global: VH6GR.KBRV
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 22 May 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1057381
English Heritage Legacy ID: 265251
Location: Stringston, West Somerset, Somerset, TA5
District: West Somerset
Civil Parish: Stringston
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST14SE STRINGSTON CP KILTON
6/203 Church of St. Nicholas
Parish Church. C14 chancel, lower stages of tower and plan cf nave, late C15 - early C16 referestration 1861-4 lancets
inserted in chancel, upper stage of tower added and Church extensively restored and partially rebuilt. Architect John
Norton. Red sandstone random rubble, Ham stone quoins and dressings, plain tiled roof, coped verges. 3-bay nave,
2-bay chancel, vestry, South porch, West tower. 3 stage crenellated tower with pyramid plain tile roof and gargoyles,
diagonal buttresses, 2-light bell openings with Somerset tracery resting on string course, 2-light west end window, 2
stage stair turret with lean-to stone slate roof in South East corner. 3-light window left and 2-light right of gabled
porch, moulded arch entrance with sundial in gable end inscribed Govett 1707. Large stepped buttress at South East
corner of nave. Pair of lancets to left and one to right of priest's door, 3 lancets at East end, vestry on North
front flanked by lancets. North wall of nave has lancet and two 2-light windows flanked by stepped buttresses.
Interior: rendered, remains of stencilled dado, friezes and inscriptions of mid C19. C19 screen and pulpit, latter
incorporating a few medieval pieces of woodwork. Fine late medieval font with remains of coloured decoration. Remain
of brass to Charles Stemages and his wife Margaret Pollard. (VCH Somerset, Vol.5 forthcoming).
Listing NGR: ST1658244133
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings