History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Shurton Mills

A Grade II Listed Building in Stogursey, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1901 / 51°11'24"N

Longitude: -3.1371 / 3°8'13"W

OS Eastings: 320632

OS Northings: 144048

OS Grid: ST206440

Mapcode National: GBR LZ.5C1N

Mapcode Global: VH6GS.KCX0

Entry Name: Shurton Mills

Listing Date: 16 November 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1057402

English Heritage Legacy ID: 265200

Location: Stogursey, West Somerset, Somerset, TA5

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset

Civil Parish: Stogursey

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Stogursey

Listing Text

ST24SW
7/146

STOGURSEY CP
SHURTON

Shurton Mills

II

Mill owner's house, and attached outbuildings to North, now dwelling. C17, enlarged C18. Roughcast over rubble, slate
roofed block, brick stack right, slightly higher independently roofed block abutting to south, pantiled brick stack
left, tall brick stack rises from eaves at rear in North East corner. Plan: L-shaped, millowner's house lying North
South with mill building, now known as The Old Mill (not included) attached at South West. Two storeys, long 3 bay
facade, irregularly placed fenestration, 3-light C19 casement left and 2 small C20 windows right, ground floor 3-light
C19 casement left, buttress and remains of wall in centre, entrance right, C19 studded plank door. Main entrance now
in attached C20 lean-to, one bay addition left. Slate roofed single storey block behind entrance with cellar extended
shelter shed, approached by flight of steps, to North all extensively altered. Interior not viewed. The Mill is first
mentioned in the rate books in 1652 according to the present owner (September 1983) of The Old Mill House who also his
an 1836 survey of the property showing the truncated wall on the facade to be the remains of a wash house that lay
parallel to the mill buildings.

Listing NGR: ST2063244048

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.