This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1653 / 51°9'55"N
Longitude: -3.22 / 3°13'11"W
OS Eastings: 314794
OS Northings: 141378
OS Grid: ST147413
Mapcode National: GBR LW.6VFD
Mapcode Global: VH6GR.4ZL2
Entry Name: Alfoxton Park Hotel
Listing Date: 22 May 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1057418
English Heritage Legacy ID: 265135
Location: Holford, West Somerset, Somerset, TA5
District: West Somerset
Civil Parish: Holford
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST14SW HOLFORD CP ALFOXTON
5/86 Alfoxton Park Hotel
Country house, now hotel. C18, refenestrated and re-roofed C19. Rendered over rubble, shallow pedimented central block
breaks forward slightly, dentil cornice continued around tympanum, bitumen covered hipped slate roof, overhanging
eaves, independently roofed asbestos slate covered addition left with central brick stacks, other brick stacks to rear
of main block. Plan: double pile, addition to left originally an orangery. Main block: 2 and a half storeys, 2:3:2
bays, flat headed 4-light dormer casements flanking pediment with circular window in tympanum, all other windows long
C19 2-light casements, keystones and blind boxes. Central pedimented Doric porch, frieze and dentil cornice, C20 half
glazed double doors. Groundfloor 2 bays right largely obscured by ivy at time of survey (August 1983). Right, 5 bay
addition, steeply pitched roof continued over verandah carried on circular rendered piers, St. Albyn crest on wall.
Left 5 bay return, 2 segmental headed dormers, similar fenestration to facade. Interior: much altered C19 and C20.
Listed for architectural and historic interest, the home of William and Dorothy Wordsworth between July 1797 and June
1798. Dorothy began her journal here in January 1798 but discontinued it 2 months later to recommence when the couple
moved to the Lake District. (Photograph in NMR; Moorman, M (ed) Journals of Dorothy Wordsworth, 1971).
Listing NGR: ST1479441378
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings