History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bank Barn, Engine House, Mill and Linhays Immediately South South West of Colton Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Nettlecombe, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1147 / 51°6'53"N

Longitude: -3.3502 / 3°21'0"W

OS Eastings: 305588

OS Northings: 135916

OS Grid: ST055359

Mapcode National: GBR LP.B52G

Mapcode Global: VH6H1.W78S

Entry Name: Bank Barn, Engine House, Mill and Linhays Immediately South South West of Colton Farmhouse

Listing Date: 29 March 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1057464

English Heritage Legacy ID: 265049

Location: Nettlecombe, West Somerset, Somerset, TA4

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset

Civil Parish: Nettlecombe

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Nettlecombe

Listing Text

The following buildings shall be added to the list.

ST 03 NE NETTLECOMBE COLTON LANE

5/276 Bank barn, engine
house, mill and
linhays immediately
south south west of
Colton Farmhouse

- II

Range of farm buildings including bank barn, horse engine house, linhays and
water mill and wheel pit. Dated 1806. Stone rubble, hipped slate barn roof;
linhays and mill roofs have been clad in corrugated iron. Plan: Large bank
barn to north with semi-circular ended horse engine house on higher north side
and a cattle yard on lower south side surrounded by open-fronted single storey
linhays with an integral water mill in the south east corner. Exterior: Large 2
storey bank barn with 6 segmental arch shippon doorways (right hand blocked) on
front facing yard and 2 large barn loading doors above (right hand blocked) with
segmental arches and ventilation slits between. Under eaves at centre a stone
tablet with initials IT and date 1806. At higher ground level at back of barn 2
similar barn doorways and ventilation slits and large semi-circular ended horse
engine house at centre with semi-conical roof, blocked ground floor openings and
external stone stairs on right (west) side to loft. Facing the yard are
open-fronted linhays with circular stone rubble piers, 6-bays on the west side,
4 bays on the east side and 6 bays on the south side (some bays blocked) and a
water mill in the south east corner with a large overshot wheel pit on its outer
south side. Interior: Loft over horse engine house has corn bins. The barn and
engine house have original tie-beam truss roofs with tenoned purlins, the barn
with lapped collars. Similar roof over south linhay but without collars; the
east and west linhays have tie-beam trusses with purlins resting on backs of
principals.
Note Colton Farm was formerly on the Nettle combe estate and the datestone
initials are those of a Trevelyan.


Listing NGR: ST0558835916

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.