This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1472 / 51°8'49"N
Longitude: -3.2727 / 3°16'21"W
OS Eastings: 311075
OS Northings: 139428
OS Grid: ST110394
Mapcode National: GBR LT.80PY
Mapcode Global: VH6GX.7F7F
Entry Name: Church of St George
Listing Date: 22 May 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1057465
English Heritage Legacy ID: 265050
Location: Bicknoller, West Somerset, Somerset, TA4
District: West Somerset
Civil Parish: Bicknoller
Built-Up Area: Bicknoller
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST13NW BICKNOLLER CP CHURCH LANE (South side
10/1 Church of St George
Parish Church, C15 and C16, perhaps incorporating some C12 work, restored 1871-2 by J D Sedding. Red sandstone random
rubble, squared and coursed North aisle, C19 slate roofs, decorative ridge tiles, coped verges. 4-bay nave, chancel,
South porch, West tower, 4-bay North aisle. Crenellated 3 stage tower, diagonal buttresses, string course with
gargoyles at corners, 2-light bell opening, lancet second stage, 3-light West window, square crenellated stair turret
North East lit on corner. Nave, crenellated quatrefoil pierced perlons, 4-light Tudor arch head to right of gabled
2-storey porch, crenellated returns with quatrefoil pierced perlons, string course with gargoyles, setback buttresses,
lit on right return only, large head stone with eroded inscription on left return, C19 moulded opening, niche with
statue abcve. C19 door. Chancel 4- and 3- light windows flanking priests door, large 5-light East window, lover portion
blocked with inserted decorative panels, steeply chamfered plinth; on North wall of chancel and North aisle all
3-light, latter between set back buttresses. Crenellated pierced merlons, door at west end. Interior: rendered.
Standard Perpendicular arcade and piers with foliage capitals, pointed tower arch in 3 orders with very large chamfer,
rear wave moulded, lowest order possibly cut in. C19 open ribbed wagon roofs, C12 pillar piscina in chancel. Altar,
stone slab steeply chamfered corners, perhaps the top of a chest tomb or maybe a pre-Reformation altar. 3-bay screen
with double doors and fan vaulting, much restored, reputed to have cone from Huish Champflower 1726. Early C16 and
early C20 bench ends. Painted and gilded wall tablet to John Sweeting of Thorncombe, died 1688, (Photographs in NMR;
VCH, Somerset Vol 5, forthcoming; Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958.
Listing NGR: ST1107639428
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings