History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Vicarage

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stogumber, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1279 / 51°7'40"N

Longitude: -3.2907 / 3°17'26"W

OS Eastings: 309779

OS Northings: 137300

OS Grid: ST097373

Mapcode National: GBR LS.984K

Mapcode Global: VH6GW.XX78

Entry Name: The Old Vicarage

Listing Date: 28 April 1978

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1057501

English Heritage Legacy ID: 264930

Location: Stogumber, West Somerset, Somerset, TA4

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset

Civil Parish: Stogumber

Built-Up Area: Stogumber

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Stogumber

Listing Text

ST0937 STOGUMBER CP HIGH STREET (South side)


11/167 The Old Vicarage

28.4.78

GV II

Vicarage, now private dwelling. Mid-late C15, altered late C16-early C17, enlarged circa 1820, restored late C20.
Rendered over rubble with some cob in medieval wing, asbestos slate roof hipped to right North wing, brick stacks left
gable end, end bay right, and to right of centre in North wing. L-plan: medieval open hall house lying East-West with 2
storey lower end, ceiled to 3 cell and cross passage, small wedge shaped room at West end with newel stair, 2 cell
addition at North West end; subsequently modified. 2 storeys, 2:2 bays; leaded C20 casements in Medieval wing, entrance
centre left through chamfered arched stone doorway, C20 medieval-style door; North wing 16 pane sash windows first
floor, 20 pane sash windows below flanking Gothick arched doorway with panelled door. Single storey hipped addition on
South side. Interior not viewed. Said to contain left, evidence of open hall house with solar over service end to East,
remains of 2 stud and panel partitions, Eastern partition with two 4-centred arched openings, 4 long tenon jointed
cruck trusses with remains of 2 tiers of curved wind braces and 2 out of 3 tiers of purlins chamfered with runout
stops; renovations temporarily revealed splayed jambs to windows now blocked; North wing with king post roof and 6
panel doors with Greek fret decoration. (VAG Report, unpublished SRO, August 1980).


Listing NGR: ST0977837301

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.