History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel Cleeve Hotel, Balustrade Flanking Entrance Steps and East Wall Terminating Terrace Marked by 2 Steps Fronting Facade

A Grade II* Listed Building in Old Cleeve, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.178 / 51°10'40"N

Longitude: -3.3811 / 3°22'51"W

OS Eastings: 303555

OS Northings: 142989

OS Grid: ST035429

Mapcode National: GBR LN.6380

Mapcode Global: VH6GN.BNXB

Entry Name: Chapel Cleeve Hotel, Balustrade Flanking Entrance Steps and East Wall Terminating Terrace Marked by 2 Steps Fronting Facade

Listing Date: 22 May 1969

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1057541

English Heritage Legacy ID: 264823

Location: Old Cleeve, West Somerset, Somerset, TA24

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset

Civil Parish: Old Cleeve

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Blue Anchor

Listing Text

ST04SW OLD CLEEVE CP
CHAPEL CLEEVE

1/66 Chapel Cleeve Hotel, balustrade
flanking entrance steps and East
wall terminating terrace marked
by 2 steps fronting facade

22.5.69

GV II*

Remains of pilgrim's hospice attached to chapel, enlarged as country house, now hotel. 1452-5, enlarged 1818-23,
refronted and enlarged 1913-4. Early C19 work by Richard Carver, early C20 plasterwork decoration by George Percy
Bankart. Squared and coursed blue lias plinth, roughcast over rubble with Bath stone quoins and dressings, string
course, hipped slate roof behind parapets, coped verges to gable ends, roughcast stacks. Plan: South facing, gabled
full height porch with left (West) early C20 reception rooms linked by long gallery style corridor on North front,
right (East) 5 bays of early C19 house with original central octagonal entrance hall, and cantilevered stair behind
with "L"-plan remains of Medieval hostelry incorporated in North East wing. Tudor style. 2 storeys, 2:3:1:2:1:2 bays
all Tudor arch headed lights in mullioned and transomed windows, end bays left breaking forward with 2 x 5-light
windows, gabled tops with blank panels, other 2 x 3 and 4-light windows with single storey canted end bay right of 2 x
6-lights, gabled top to third bay right breaking forward slightly, centre full height gabled porch, date stone 1914
gable end, 2 x 5-light oriel, corbelled base with coat of arms above 4-centred arch dorway with double doors approached
by flight of steps with curving Bath stone handrail, square piers with stone lattice work returned to 2 steps that form
the terrace fronting the house between projecting end 2-bays left and low wall of similar design end right. Right
return, setback projecting North East wing terminating in crenellated polygonal stair turret with other remains of
early C19 work. Remains of Medieval hostelry on rear elevation: squared and coursed blue lias, red sandstone relieving
arches, 2 storeys with later inserted attic, gabled end bay right, coped verges, mullioned and transomed arched window
below hood mould, top of similar window reset as dormer left with 2 cinquefoil-headed windows below groundfloor
separated by string course, 2 arched window openings right under hood moulds with blocked entrance beside, long
mullioned and transomed cinquefoil-headed window centre with small arched window beside arched door way left. A single
storey length of wall to East contains 4-centred moulded arch opening, possibly to courtyard which might have been
formed by parallel gabled wing to East running North-South. Interior: 3 bays of arch braced roof with remains of 2
tiers of wind bracing, wallplate and chamfered beams with step and runout stops in North East wing; early C19 Gothick
panelling, moulded cornices and wrought iron cantilevered stair with elegant plasterwork decoration on stair lantern;
especially good Arts and Crafts style plasterwork decoration by Bankart including overmantels, an imported early C17
carved overmantel from Taunton in the early C20 West wing. The Chapel of St Mary was built to hold a sacred image of
the Virgin that had survived the destruction of an earlier chapel to the North on the cliffs at Blue Anchor. No trace
remains of the chapel which stood to the North of the hospice for pilgrims to the shrine. (Pevsner, Buildings of
England, South and West Somerset, 1958 VCH Somerset, Vol 5, forthcoming; VAG Report, unpublished SRO, 1981; Photograph
in NMR).


Listing NGR: ST0355542989

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.