History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Half Moon Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Monksilver, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1289 / 51°7'44"N

Longitude: -3.3256 / 3°19'32"W

OS Eastings: 307333

OS Northings: 137465

OS Grid: ST073374

Mapcode National: GBR LQ.959N

Mapcode Global: VH6GW.9WQF

Entry Name: Half Moon Cottage

Listing Date: 22 May 1969

Last Amended: 21 December 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1057566

English Heritage Legacy ID: 264781

Location: Monksilver, West Somerset, Somerset, TA4

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset

Civil Parish: Monksilver

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Nettlecombe

Listing Text

ST03NE MONKSILVER CP FRONT STREET (East side)


5/24 Half Moon Cottage
(formerly listed as Birds Hill
Cottage)

22.5.69

GV II

Cottage, formerly an inn. Late medieval in origin, altered late C16 and C17. Rendered over rubble facade, colourwashed
random rubble left return with raking buttresses, large brick stack above entry and left gable end. Plan: open hall
house ceiled to 3 cell with lobby entry, single cell addition centre rear. 2 storeys, projecting bay left lit only by
small moulded opening, first floor steeply chamfered wooden 2-light casement left, others 2-and 3-light leaded
casements, groundfloor 2- and 4- light casements left of entrance, 4-light to right, good imported C17 door, gabled
thatched rustic porch. Interior not viewed, said to contain at North end fireplace with scroll stops to lintel, blocked
stairway to left with oven behind and large circular chamber to right of fireplace with corbelled stone roof,
presumably a corn drying or bacon curing chamber. Chamfered beams with enriched stops and 4 pair of jointed crucks.
This building was recorded as the Ram Inn in 1675 and by 1785 was known as the Half Moon Inn, but ceased to be an inn
circa 1860 when the Notley Arms (qv) was built. (VCH Somerset, Vol 5, forthcoming; VAG Report, unpublished SRO,
September 1980).


Listing NGR: ST0733337465

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.