This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.4484 / 55°26'54"N
Longitude: -1.8872 / 1°53'14"W
OS Eastings: 407230
OS Northings: 617175
OS Grid: NU072171
Mapcode National: GBR H58F.6Q
Mapcode Global: WHB04.ZBH1
Entry Name: Hedgeley Hall with Screen Wall to South West
Listing Date: 31 December 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1057652
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236579
Location: Hedgeley, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Hedgeley
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Eglingham St Maurice
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NU 01 NE
4/234 Hedgeley Hall,
with screen wall
31.12.69 to south-west
Country House. South range is late C18 remodelling of older fabric, with
early C19 wings to rear remodelled and incorporated in major extension of
c.1910-14 by George Reavell of Alnwick, for Colonel Henry Carr-Ellison.
C18/19 parts squared stone, early C20 parts squared and tooled stone except
for rock-faced north-east wing; ashlar dressings. Scottish slate roofs
except for C20 grey tiles on west part of early C20 extension. Late C18
house in Gothick style, 1914 parts Tudor.
West front in 3 sections. 2 storeys. Older 3-bay right part has central
5-window bow with traceried 2-light windows with Gothick glazing bars;
centre ones are purple slate panels; linked hoodmoulds. Tall central parapet
has roundel flanked by cruciform loops. Varied openings in flanking bays.
Buttressed screen wall steps down to right. All walls have embattled parapets.
3-bay centre section has projecting gabled left bay with 2-storey canted bay
window; 3- and 4-light mullioned and transomed windows holding leaded
casements; moulded parapets. Tall stepped-and-corniced stacks with panelled
shafts to ridge and right end. North-west wing, to left, above projecting
basement of c.1950; 2 gabled bays; scattered small windows, and armorial
panel at base of corbelled-out stack.
South front: 2 storeys + attic, 3 + 2 bays. Left part has central C20 glazed
double doors, 12-pane sash windows and C19 attic dormer on corbels, with
quatrefoil above casement; right part has French windows in older openings
and C20 balcony above. Roll mouldings around openings and to right corner
of range. Crowstepped right gable end; stepped-and-corniced ridge and right
East (entrance) front, 5 gabled bays: projecting 2-storey porch with Tudor-
arched doorway; 2- and 3-light windows, some transomed. 3-bay north-east
wing to right.
Interior: Late C18 plaster ceilings in west room of south range and bedroom
above, the latter having a contemporary panelled fireplace. Other parts all
1910-1914, with open-well stair and rich plaster ceilings; doors and fireplaces
brought from Dunston Hill (Gateshead) and Hebburn Hall.
Listing NGR: NU0723017175
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings