History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hope Chapel and Parsons House parson's House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Central Rochdale, Rochdale

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6217 / 53°37'18"N

Longitude: -2.1581 / 2°9'29"W

OS Eastings: 389642

OS Northings: 413919

OS Grid: SD896139

Mapcode National: GBR FVCK.LG

Mapcode Global: WHB8X.T7JC

Entry Name: Hope Chapel and Parsons House parson's House

Listing Date: 12 February 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1057694

English Heritage Legacy ID: 358900

Location: Rochdale, OL12

County: Rochdale

Metropolitan District Ward: Central Rochdale

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Rochdale St Chad, St Mary and St Edmund

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Rochdale

Listing Text

SD 8913 NE ROCHDALE HOPE STREET

10/72 Hope Chapel and
Parsons House

G.V. II*

Includes Parson's House No. 21 Wilson Street. Chapel and
Parson's house (now caretakers house). 1810, extended
towards Hope Street in 1848, datestones to front and rear.
Brick with rendering in places, stone dressings and slate
roof. Meeting hall with four-sided gallery the organ being
housed on the fourth side with vestry beneath. The central
door opens into a hall which gives access to the balconies
by means of side stairs. The parson's house is attached to
the Wilson Street end. 2 storeys, 3 bays, stone plinth and
banding, two tiers of windows under giant arches with
moulded architrave, keystone and stone panel separating the
windows. There were formerly two door openings to either
side of the central window but is now a central one. Stone
cornice and parapet. Side elevation: the double gable
defines the building of 1810 right and 1848 left. The
parson's house is of 2 bays and 3 storeys, built at two
dates, with stone sills and lintels and a hipped roof. The
interior fittings are in excellent condition and include
communion rail with cast iron balusters, central pulpit, box
pews which curve round three sides of auditorium and
gallery, panelled gallery supported on cast-iron columns
with foliated capital and organ. Most would appear to date
from 1845. John Kershaw was the founder; there is a
memorial to him on the west wall.


Listing NGR: SD8964213919

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.