History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

North Hill House

A Grade II Listed Building in Frome, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2335 / 51°14'0"N

Longitude: -2.3167 / 2°19'0"W

OS Eastings: 377982

OS Northings: 148305

OS Grid: ST779483

Mapcode National: GBR 0S9.P29

Mapcode Global: VH97D.S8L7

Entry Name: North Hill House

Listing Date: 31 January 1974

Last Amended: 16 February 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1057786

English Heritage Legacy ID: 266272

Location: Frome, Mendip, Somerset, BA11

County: Somerset

District: Mendip

Civil Parish: Frome

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Frome

Listing Text

1.
5363 NORTH PARADE
(South-east side)

GV North Hill House
ST 7748 SE 5/182 31.1.74 (formerly listed as
North Hill House)
II (Urban District
Council Offices)

2.
First in Church Rates 1779. 2 storey, 7 window ashlar front, divided into 3 bays,
the centre set back. Moulded cornice. Glazing bar sash windows in moulded
architraves. Central doorway has Ionic pilasters and pediment. C19 alterations and
additions including attic storey with slate mansard roof and heavy balustrade.
3 chimneys with moulded capping. 2 window 1 storey extension to right. Irregular
2 window extension to left with balustraded stair turret.
Interior decoration appears to be a pastiche see especially Council Chamber and
adjoining coved ceiling room. Original staircase with modern hall screen and newel.
Interesting rear elevation with 2 storey bow and rusticated window surrounds. 2 of
the stableyard buildings to north are also of interest one is the original stable
cottage, the other a circa 1800 long coach house of 2 storeys with hipped slate roof
and 3 + 3 windows (blocked) on 1st floor. The house belonged to the Le Gros family
(silk manufacturers) until the 1950s.


Listing NGR: ST7798248305

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.