This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2295 / 51°13'46"N
Longitude: -2.326 / 2°19'33"W
OS Eastings: 377335
OS Northings: 147865
OS Grid: ST773478
Mapcode National: GBR 0S9.SWJ
Mapcode Global: VH97D.MCQ9
Entry Name: Christ Church
Listing Date: 22 July 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1057853
English Heritage Legacy ID: 266139
Location: Frome, Mendip, Somerset, BA11
Civil Parish: Frome
Built-Up Area: Frome
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
5363 CHRISTCHURCH STREET WEST
ST 7747 NW 9/2 GV Christ Church
22.7.49 Christ Church
Original church built 1817-1818, architect G A Underwood. Refenestrated 1840s
by Manners and Gill; east extension 1904-05 by W George Brown; south transept
1899; "North transept" 1929 by Sir Harold Brakespeare. Rubble built. The 1818
church was an aisled nave with crenellated east tower with clasping buttresses.
Perpendicular style, traceried openwork parapets (and verges to east), pinnacles
and gargoyles over buttresses (1851). Cruciform plan. 4 bays, tracery based on
that of Yatton (near Bristol), 2 smaller flanking bays (the right hand one had
door with crocketted ogee label). South transept has ogee capped bell turret;
gabled east chapel. Projecting later chancel (Lady Chapel built 1929) with clasping
octagonal buttresses, cornice and ashlar parapet.
West front: projecting side buttresses clasping nave end south aisle corners,
pinnacles to aisle, blind panels to nave. Large central Perpendicular style
window (1865) above which is corbel for former finial. Gothic panelled doors
(1918). One original 'Y' tracery window retained at west end of south aisle.
Interior: piers of arcade reinforced but still quadrilobe. Good carved oak altar
placed under tower with decorated reredos, flanking sedilia and panelled arcade.
Large rood of 1910.
A number of minor wall monuments. The graveyard has a number of plain railed
graves, one is oval shaped and has ornamental iron overthrow inscribed in memory
of Thomas Bunn (died 1853), a prominent local worthy. (See Church Guide by
D J Gill).
Listing NGR: ST7733547865
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings