This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2298 / 51°13'47"N
Longitude: -2.3203 / 2°19'12"W
OS Eastings: 377733
OS Northings: 147899
OS Grid: ST777478
Mapcode National: GBR 0S9.VLC
Mapcode Global: VH97D.QCQ1
Entry Name: Tomb of Bishop Ken Outside East End of Church of St John
Listing Date: 16 February 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1057889
English Heritage Legacy ID: 266037
Location: Frome, Mendip, Somerset, BA11
Civil Parish: Frome
Built-Up Area: Frome
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
5363 BATH STREET
Tomb of Bishop Ken
10/113 outside east end of
Church of St John
Mid C19 housing to early C18 grave. Significant position outside the chancel.
Low gabled housing built, buttressed and roofed in stone with open cusped side
arches closed by wrought-iron palisades. The interior has a coffin-shaped slab
with empty metal banding over with only a crozier and a mitre on it. Bishop Ken
(1637-1711) was one of the seven Bishops who refused the oath of Indulgence 1689
to William and Mary and was consequently deprived of his See of Bath and Wells.
Hence the symbolism: an empty grave, and empty coffin, outside the church.
Listing NGR: ST7773347899
Other nearby listed buildings