History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Almshouses and Chapel of St Mary Magdalene's Hospital

A Grade II* Listed Building in Glastonbury, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.145 / 51°8'42"N

Longitude: -2.7178 / 2°43'4"W

OS Eastings: 349882

OS Northings: 138662

OS Grid: ST498386

Mapcode National: GBR MK.838G

Mapcode Global: VH8B3.VH12

Entry Name: Almshouses and Chapel of St Mary Magdalene's Hospital

Listing Date: 21 June 1950

Last Amended: 15 March 1974

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1057909

English Heritage Legacy ID: 265986

Location: Glastonbury, Mendip, Somerset, BA6

County: Somerset

District: Mendip

Civil Parish: Glastonbury

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Glastonbury

Listing Text

MAGDALENE STREET
1.
1133
(West Side)
Almshouses and Chapel
of St Mary Magdalene's
Hospital (formerly listed
as St Mary's Almshouses)
ST 4938 7/81 21.6.50.
II*
2.
Founded before 1322 to house 10 poor men. The present buildings seem mostly late
medieval. The chapel, east wall and gable of hall with bell-cote, the west wall
and lower part of west gable survive. Originally the chapel opened out of the
east end of a great hall. The roof of this hall is thought to have been removed
after the Dissolution, and 2 rows of little houses were built facing a narrow central
passage. Only the north range survives with entrance from street through an arch
in east end. 5 houses in range. 2 storeys. Random rubble. Slate roof. Chimney-stack
at west end. 5 windows. Paired wood casements to left and paired mullioned windows
to right. 5 doorways (2 blocked) with arched heads. Plain wooden doors. The chapel
is basically Perp with a single lancet (blocked) in east wall. Slate roof, lowered
in pitch. Tiny 3-light windows under rectangular hoodmoulds. Small piscina and
boarded roof with paterae inside. Pointed west arch with double wooden doors.


Listing NGR: ST4987238660

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.